Question for those who live in LOS

dave32

I'm close to 40. Not saying that is old or young, it is what it is.

Lately, I keep thinking of the opening sequence of 'The Graduate,' where the kid (Dustin Hoffman) is listlessly wandering around surrounded by these boring people and trying to get a clue or find something worth doing.

The past year I've had a feeling that won't let go. Realization that my time on earth is limited. I'm talking about really realizing it and thinking about it.

I'm making a good income, getting soft, sitting on my ass having a life now that isn't too difficult (in 2001 when I came to LA with barely anything I did temp work the first month and slept with the doors locked in my pick-up truck, wasn't all that fun). American dream. I don't like it. Honestly, sometimes I just want to fucking scream. Get me the fuck out of here.

Solution: shake it up. Coming to LOS on a student Visa in June, will stay for a year, most details already worked out. Not permanent, but definitley one year. Have a place to live in BKK lined up (right next to MRT) and small support network (2 people, live just outside of BKK) I can count on. A project I'm working on with a friend here that we've put a lot of effort into will consume much of my time, but the work can be done online. Its success will not impact my living there, but it's important to me.

So, now that I've got all that babble out --> here is the actual question, and I apologize if this shit is too vague or general (and it fucking is, I know) -- but the question is, for those that live there..

have any input?

-dave32

No input as such, but I think we all know what you are going through. Just don't be fooled that LOS is paradise because its not.

If it was me, I would plan out a yearly budget and ensure that you have emergency money just in case.

Also, dont fall for a thai chick if you can help it :)

Caution...don't get soft in LOS! Easy to do!

I keep a daily routine; exercise/swim every morning, two hours on the internet (news, finances, emails, etc), do small electronic projects, trips to China Town to buy parts, Honda Clic for transportation, limit alcohol intake...

just my way to keep a small measure of sanity...YMMV

I believe you can to work on a student visa - but only at your own university. What might that be? Maybe some part time teaching or proof reading, enough to make some pocket money but not to live on.

A student visa isn't limited to one year. It can be renewed as long as you really are a student. I know somebody who spent years allegedly working on an MA - and never finished it. He was just using it to stay here. Still, it is foolish to waste one's time here and not have anything to show for it. Several universities have certificate programmes in Thai studies. (I know Thammasat and Srinakarinwirote do.) The course studies are easy enough and can be fun: Thai language, Thai history, Thai culture etc. Plus you get to be on campus and chat up the student gals. That's a way to meet some GTGs instead of just hanging around with BGs.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Don't do it and he might be kicking himself for the rest of his life. Of course, the danger is that he might not ever want to leave!

Thanks guys. :)

Don't do it and he might be kicking himself for the rest of his life. Of course, the danger is that he might not ever want to leave!

That sums it up. Momentum is past critical mass now, barring some sort of life-altering catastrophe, I'm going.

Note: Despite all its problems, and there are MANY, I love Los Angeles and my friends here and will return.

To answer some other points: Yes, I plan on using the student Visa as a vehicle to stay in country. I was going to utilize the Walen or Thai Language School in Bangkok, but..

Several universities have certificate programmes in Thai studies. (I know Thammasat and Srinakarinwirote do.) The course studies are easy enough and can be fun: Thai language, Thai history, Thai culture etc. Plus you get to be on campus and chat up the student gals. That's a way to meet some GTGs instead of just hanging around with BGs.

That sounds preferable. I haven't committed financially to a school so thank you, going to research possbilities at the Unis. If you have any more info = welcomed. Though the purpose of the Visa is to get a hassle free stay, I take it seriously and will work to learn the language.

--------

Re: Career and all that stuff, I'm willing to wing it. I've survived this long jumping around and I try to force myself to take it serious. But, we're all whores in one way or another eh?

I work now with transitioning paper documentation in the medical world to an electronic medical record. Done it for a few years and it's easy to pick up work. Even in this shitty climate. (Ironically, one of the organizations I contract out to advertises on this site). Is it something I want to fall into and spend many years doing and retire from? Nope. The only rub is I like the people I work with now (and it's reciprocated), but, I need to NOT be renewed. They've already made a couple offers and I need to strategize a way to be let go without burning bridges (it'll work out a lot better for me financially that way).

Have no debt, don't own a home, a little over 30k liquid (will be 40 by summer) which isn't much but that's the buffer when I return. Don't plan on touching it. I'll have another income coming in while in LOS from a part-time contract which can be fulfilled online, 6 months at a little under 2k a month.

And there's a 'creative' project that is important to me personally, you better believe a lot of my time will be consumed there.

As to why: I'm thinking with little head and big head. I don't how to otherwise. Never have in the past. And I need a change.

Take care...

Ps. I guess I pissed somebody off. Up at the top of the site screen I have an 'online now' cell that lists users, mine now says: Ignoring 1 user. And I never mess with that stuff so I assume some poor soul is ignoring little ol' me.

People can be so sensitive. :)

BTW - gave similar spiel as above to a friend tonight and the response was --> yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, now why are you really doing this.

Past all the bullshit, I'm fucking lazy. Of the people I know, I'm by far the laziest and most unambitious.

That's what I want. A year of sheer fucking laziness. A year without bullshit distractions. A time where I can divert energy into things that are important, and, get the benefit of having easy access to beautiful exotic women. See, you could go to the desert or something, but it's missing the women part. And I like love Farang women, but, fuck it, get me outta here for awhile.

Falling in love and doing something stupid ain't an issue. I've rescued enough kittens out of trees the past 8 years. This will be the year of lust.

I think I'm writing this for me.

haha. So be it.

dave32. signing the fuck off.

Archived