Green Papaya Girls!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your a lucky man, I always hit Thai resteraunts when I go to Calgary just so I can sit nearest the kitchen and listen to the staff banter in prasat Thai.

I lucked into some "Fresh" kafir lime leaves the other day, not frozen or dried. That's probably a laugh for you California boys, their probably growing in your back yard ?

In the China town in Calgary there is only one type of Basil opposed to the 3 common ones in LOS how many available over there ?

How many types of Basil? hmm. not sure, at least 3-4 hot, sweet, mild, Italian, something they just call Thai Basil, and some just call mild mint leaves Basil as well, I have not seen fresh kefir lime leaves here though, maybe in SF proper, or out in the central vally, a lot of Lao refugees settled there...

I have seen reports of Hmong families moving to the USA on the internet. Sounds like there is a sizeable Hmong comunity.

I have heard that there were considerable numbers of them that worked for the CIA during the 60/70's . And there was one family portrayed in a 1970's eddition of National Geographic.

Suposedly the Thai/Laos comunity LA is 40,000+

You definetley have to remember that mint/basil thing when you go into a Vietnamese grocer, I guess they just understand mint to be another variation on basil. I have ended up at home with mint when having asked for Basil.

Besides your soup, lime leaves are nice to add to your green curry (even if its in the preperation). Roll several up into a small cigarete shape and the "shave" it into strands and then cut their lenth a few times and add it into your curry NICE!

"...a lot of Lao refugees settled there."

Those are Hmong, aren't they? In and around Merced?

Siam Sam

You might be right, a lot of new people out there! It is getting very diverse. A few Lao restaurants have opened here, as well as Burmese. Still haven't seen any Cambodian places though I am sure they are around...

Cambobian? Restaurant? Oakland? what are we waiting for? Great dinner last night! Thanks again for sharing the "Green Papaya girls" with me, I really enjoyed their company. I think we behaved like proper gentelmen! However we may have set their English studies back a few months with all the California slang!

Archived