Green Papaya Girls!

I guess this is a food story...

So after coming back from my first trip to LOS....I've been alternately depressed and obsessed. Experiencing the latter one day I decided to cook a big Thai Meal at home (I'm a chef by trade). I live in San Fran so I'm in chinatown rounding up ingredients, but I'm having trouble finding a produce shop that has green papaya for the Som Tam. I'm in this produce shop trying to explain what I want to a chinese lady who speaks no english "No...the green papaya...for som tam...Thai food". Behind me I hear this voice "Oh...I know where!". Turn around to see 2 cute Thai girls standing there!

"Really? You know where they sell green papaya?" I ask. They briefly try to give me directions then give up and say "come with us". At this point I realize there must be some kind of divine intervention at work, so I'm not gonna let this one get by me. After they brought me 3 blocks to the store and picked out the papaya for me, I got thier number (they live together) and a tenative agreement to come over and cook Thai food at my place some time. Since then I've met them a couple of times for lunch. I found out that Tuu's birthday is this weekend...so they're coming over to cook Thai food and I'm gonna surprise her with a cake with Thai writing from the pastry shop at work. I've invited another distinguished member of this board over as well. So just as I was being consumed by my longing for LOS...I've got something to distract me... It's kind of cosmic how it happened though, huh? World sure is wierd...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know brother, but look at it this way: This may be our chance to be real "nice guys"...To redeem ourselves for all those poor TG hearts we have broken.....

""". I've invited another distinguished member of this board over as well. """

I checked my e-mail, my PM, nothing here ????????

Anyone else ????

I guess you forgot most other distinguished members..............smile.gif

Anyway, bon appetit and enjoy yourselves..................smile.gif

Thanx BB,

I most certainly would have invited you, but thought it might be difficult for you to get to SF on such short notice. Maybe you should just go to LOS instead?

Yes, I know the market, but they only have dry goods....at least when I've been there. I did check there for green papaya before I went to china town. Thank God they didn't have it!!

What is it about these Thai girls??? I just got off the phone with Tuu to make plans to pick up her and her friend up Sat., and I find myself literally going into a trance while talking to her! That sing song voice, innocent giggle, and complete ease with herself and our conversation.... I don't know if it's a curse or a blessing, but I find it increasingly difficult to fathom another relationship with a western woman.....oh well...

Archived