Cowboy or Nana?

lifesabeach

Cowboy or Nana?....Sure...why not do both..but for that matter, going to one is easier...I will share my recent admitedly limited experience....I used to like Nana better - Rainbow bars especially, then 2-3 years ago I started to catch a lot of attitude at Nana, and Cowboy bars like Baccara and Shark seemed better...my recent visit convinced me that Nana, Rainbow bars at least, is back to being tops....

Baccara and Shark bar - the best of Cowboy at 9-10 on a weekend night? - not so many lookers and plenty of drooling punters..the couple of girls I liked were not much impressed with what I had to offer

Conversely at Nana...pretty girls giving me the come hither look..gotta say that is where I would go again....that being said, it seemed like Rainbow and Rainbow 4 were the only places that weren't dead or full of ladyboys....

Enjoy!

If I'm in on a quick visit, just a few nights, then I sometimes try to do both in one night. Being on a quick visit, you don't want to waste time in bars where you don't see something you like. You tend to go for the ones that are more likely to have better looking girls. So the strategy is to hit a number of bars in a short time and get a quick look at the lineup (til you find what you like). Both locations work for that with all the bars close together. If you do want to try to hit both, the key is to just take taxi from one to the other any time you want to move. It costs so little, it's not worth it to climb up to Skytrain for the little money it saves, and surely not worth it to walk (there's so much pedestrian congestion on that street with those markets, which always slows you down more than you'd expect, and you end up getting sweaty no matter what). I mean, how much is taxi from Nana to Asoke, 30 baht? In terms of time, 2 minutes? 3 tops? Compare to walking or Skytrain and I think it's pretty clearly the way to go. And for 30 baht and 3 minutes, why not visit both Nana and Cowboy. The only reason not to is if you have a good feeling about where you are. If not, move.

I can often tell just walking into a bar whether its worth staying or not. If it is, sit down and have a beer. If I change my mind in the course of that beer,I just pay up and go, never mind whether the beer is done or not. Time's more valuable than the few baht beers cost. But once in a bar, it usually pays to sit through the rotations to see what they have.

I don't understand the ones here who have such strong preferences for Nana or Cowboy. Both have lots of bars, and the bars have lots of pretty girls. The prices are comparable. Why limit yourself to just half of what's out there?

If I want to try doing both, I start at Cowboy early evening. If it clicks, well, then I'm taking someone to my hotel and no reason to go on. If it doesn't, I take taxi down to Nana -- if I'm in Cowboy I always have it in the back of my mind how Rainbow bars have such a solid lineup, so I'm comparing what's in front of me to that prospect. That said, I usually end up heading to Nana after visiting a handful of Cowboy bars.

I know it's only 5 baht but minimum charge just to get in a taxi is 35 baht. And I would still take the skytrain. Traffic in Suk between Nana and cowboy can sometimes be snail-paced. Can take way longer than walking sometimes. I do agree walking is probably the last option because it takes probably 20 minutes or so and you will be sweaty.

The OP doesn't mention how many nights he has. If 2 or more nights, then easy, do both. If one night and you are asking if you only visit one, which one should it be?? No question, Cowboy. IMO, better talent, cheaper prices for beer, food is more accessible if hungry, bars seem more customer friendly.

If you wanna try both places, use the skytrain for most likely the quickest transfer between the 2.

I used to prefer the walk. Some of my favorite nights were when I used to walk from where I lived near immigration down rama 4 to asoke up to cowboy, then over to nana, and back to patpong to finish the night.

Sometimes I'd cut through the tobacco monopoly.

Walking around bangkok was always such a pleasure that I never seemed to be in a hurry.

Walking around bangkok was always such a pleasure that I never seemed to be in a hurry.

Several nights where I walked back and forth between cowboy/nana a few times, hitting beer bars enroute in between. At night the sweating wasn't so much an issue. Only time I'd taxi (and then it was usually the crazy scooter guys - 50 baht) was when it was close to closing time and I wanted to get back to someone in particular.

I don't know what it is, but I don't like early nights. I don't like being rushed. And I do like walking.

As to the two, I have no preference, would usually hit several places in and out of both areas during the night. Depends on that particular time. My favorites are the after-hours clubs anyway. Don't know why.

If you told me that Cowboy or Nana was going to close permanently and I had to choose: Keep Cowboy open.

Archived