Drivers license requirements

jnhdrac

What is the actual law about having a foreign drivers license while driving a rental car from a reputable car rental agency? I have been "fined" for not having an international drivers permit, and I have also crashed a car and the police said nothing about my drivers license and the lack of the international drivers permit. The car rental company does not seem to care about the international drivers permit. I am just curious what the law is. Thanks.

You will get various answers here. Anywhere from Thai license only to international plus your home license to only your home license.

I would suspect the law says you need a valid international permit plus your home license. My personal experience in my 2 encounters in dealing with cops while driving is the first one was very happy with my home license ONLY and the second time, the cop was very happy with his 500 baht note.

The International Driving Permit is more than just a permit; it is a UN sanctioned document, and recognised in over 150 countries around the world, including Thailand.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a special permit for travellers allowing motorists to drive in overseas countries without further tests or applications, provided their domestic driver's licence is valid.

In Oz, it is $45.00 which equates to about 1400 baht, do the maths - it does last for a year though, so if your a long term visitor and to avoid any unnecessary legals dramas, it may be worth it.

Driving and having only your home license is seldom a problem. As mentioned often the BIB never ask to see your license...or just settle for a 'tip'.

Driving without an Int'l Drivers Permit or Thai license does leave the door open for a potential problem should you get into an accident, especially one where there are injuries to others. Technically, you would be an unlicensed driver and possibly easy prey for settlement to pay for damages.

from what I remember, LOS was on the list of countries where you need an international licence plus your home one. In reality, I guess the boys in brown would accept just your local licence wrapped in a 100 - 500 baht note.

A lot of other countries (UK and US for example) simply accept your home country licence.

Driving without an Int'l Drivers Permit or Thai license does leave the door open for a potential problem should you get into an accident, especially one where there are injuries to others. Technically, you would be an unlicensed driver and possibly easy prey for settlement to pay for damages.

If that is the case rental agencies should require Internatinal Permit before hiring vehicles.

My understanding of the International Permit is that all it does is acknowledge you have a valid DL in your country of residency.

Like others I have been renting vehicles in LOS for years and my encounters with the BiB have never been an issue with my Aus DL.

Archived