New Year holiday accidents

TroyinEwa/Perv

I could have sworn I saw a thread on this somewhere but be damned if I can find it.

These numbers for this holiday and Songkran just astound me. I can't get over how big they are. A post I swore I saw before said they thought deaths during the Songkran holiday were greater than this one. I found the numbers for Songkran last year and will tally up this year's New Year holday for the 7 day period the government is counting, Dec 29th-Jan 4th. The Songkran holiday uses 7 days worth of numbers as well.

Songkran 2009

373 deaths and 4,332 injuries in 3,977 road accidents nationwide

New Years 2010 after 2 days

91 deaths and 1,175 injuries in 1,115 road accidents nationwide

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a horrible carnage;

77 killed in road accidents on New Year Eve, raising New Year road toll to 168

A total of 709 road accidents were reported on New Year Eve during which 77 people were killed and 763 others were injured, the Civil Disaster Prevention and Mitigation director-general announced Friday.

Anucha Mokhaves, the department chief, said the toll on the third day of the so-called seven dangerous New Year holidays raised the road accident death toll of the monitoring period to 168.

The accumulated number of injured victims after three days rose to 1,988.

Drunk driving still remained the biggest cause of the accident, he said, saying 46.12 per cent of the accidents on the New Year Eve was caused by drunk driving.

The Nation

77 killed on New Years Eve, death toll raised to 168

As reported in the Nation, 01/01/10

No, apparently. Updated numbers.

New Years 2010 after 5 days

279 deaths and 3,185 injuries in 2,931 road accidents nationwide

Only 2 days to go in their "7 most dangerous days" or whatever they call them. It looks like the numbers won't reach Songkran 2009 levels. At least that's something but these numbers for this small of a country are just jaw-dropping.

Archived