Firefox 3.6, but I don't want Google Toolbar

gawguy

Again..a privacy issue.

I use Firefox and regularly update. Now the update that they are pushing comes with Google toolbar and a message asking you to accept and approve its terms.

I NEVER install any toolbars (or join social networks) because I know they are there to harvest information and track my use. They can do whatever they do and I will never know it. This is also why I don't use Internet Explorer.

These people are too smart, greedy and willful. Insidious. They present you with an agreement and when you check the box they get virtually carte blanche to track you. Later people complain bitterly and get told, "You agreed."

I really like Firefox. I don't want to agree to anything. I've never had to agree to terms before to install or upgrade. WTF!!

What are my options?

"I NEVER install any toolbars (or join social networks) because I know they are there to harvest information and track my use. They can do whatever they do and I will never know it. This is also why I don't use Internet Explorer."

All emails are saved someplace.

All phone calls are saved by the cell phone providers. Your location is easily found with cell phone.

Doesn't take much to find your IP address.

There are no secrets.

gawguy,

not sure where you got the update from. I went to the Firefox page, downloaded the installer and run it from my harddrive. No Toolbar was offered.

Also had another computer where I just updated within firefox via the update function. Again no toolbar.

You are sure the google toolbar was not installed previous unrelated to the firefox update?

gawguy,

not sure where you got the update from. I went to the Firefox page, downloaded the installer and run it from my harddrive. No Toolbar was offered.

Also had another computer where I just updated within firefox via the update function. Again no toolbar.

You are sure the google toolbar was not installed previous unrelated to the firefox update?

Thank you everyone for your input. Some think I installed the update already and the toolbar was also installed. That is NOT what happened.

I rec'd a msg that "Firefox 3.6 with Google Toolbar is now available." I STOPPED there and did not install.

Now I have accessed the update myself and as you say, no toolbar is installed automatically.

I'm glad I asked and I appreciate the help.

GG

Archived