What The F*#K Is Wrong With The World

bust

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:red]Do you really doubt the world is mad?[/color]

University of Alabama in Huntsville biology professor in custody regarding deadly shooting at faculty meeting

HUNTSVILLE, AL -- A biology professor is in custody in connection with three fatal shootings on the University of Alabama in Huntsville campus Friday afternoon, according to a UAH official.

Dr. Amy Bishop, a Harvard-University trained neuroscientist, was taken into custody, and her husband has been detained. They have not been charged with a crime.

According to police, three people were killed and three were wounded when the shooter opened fire during a biology faculty meeting on the third floor of the Shelby Center for Science and Technology. The three injured people are being treated at Huntsville Hospital.

In June 2006, The Huntsville Times published a story involving Bishop, biology professor and her husband, Jim Anderson, chief science officer of Cherokee Labsystems in Huntsville.

Bishop is quoted in the story as co-inventor of "InQ," a new cell growth incubator which promised to cut the costs, size and maintenance involved in the mechanics of cell generation.

And another!

Girl, 6, Handcuffed, Committed Because Of Classroom Behavior

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- A Port St. Lucie first-grade student was handcuffed and committed to a mental health facility because of her classroom behavior, and her parents are furious that the school took such extreme measures.

Mickey Shalansky explained Wednesday what he said happened to his 6-year-old daughter at Parkway Elementary.

"She couldn't put her in two handcuffs because her wrists are that small, so she put them both in the same handcuff and left marks on my daughter's arms," Shalansky told WPBF 25 News' Bob Kaple.

But a St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office report paints a much different picture.

Deputies said his daughter, Haley, got upset and stormed out her classroom when her teacher asked her to do something. The report said it then escalated into a temper tantrum in the principal's office.

According to the incident report, a deputy said Haley was out of control. It said she "kicked the wall, went over to the desk and threw the calculator, electric pencil sharpener, telephone, container of writing utensils and other objects across the desk."

She was then handcuffed.

"I don't think it should have had to come to this -- you know, to put a little girl, 6 years old, 37 pounds in handcuffs and take her away in a police car," Shalansky said.

More

What does "observe and report" mean? Why have security in the first place if they are not going to assist you in a situation like this girl found herself. Hope they were all sacked.

Do you really not know what "observe and report" means?!

Use it in the context of the post Munchie like the smart people do. If you do need it explained a little more clearly PT me.... will be happy to help you out mate :rolleyes:

Use it in the context of the post Munchie like the smart people do. If you do need it explained a little more clearly PT me.... will be happy to help you out mate :rolleyes:

Thanks Bust but I doubt I'll ever need an Aussie to explain English to me. :shakehead

Back to the topic though:

"Authorities have launched an investigation into the incident and the policy that requires security guards to "observe and report" instances of violence."

What do you expect the security guards to do if they are required to "observe and report". It is the US of A after all and had they intervened and perhaps injured one of the assailants then you can bet your last dollar they would have been sued.

No point criticising the security guards when it's their employer who makes the rules.

What do you expect the security guards to do if they are required to "observe and report". It is the US of A after all and had they intervened and perhaps injured one of the assailants then you can bet your last dollar they would have been sued.

No point criticising the security guards when it's their employer who makes the rules.

From what I understand the concept of observe and report is meant in part to protect the security guards who are not armed but also to protect the public. The fact that they were not armed tells me they should have stepped in to protect the victim and not just stand there and watch a defenseless girl get attacked.

You take on the position you are expected to do the job.

had they intervened and perhaps injured one of the assailants then you can bet your last dollar they would have been sued.

Yep. exactly. Most 'security guards' (not including pub/nightclub bouncers) are simply "static guards". They may check security passes (eg in an office building) and conduct patrols, search vehicles (eg gatehouse security) but they are simply not trained nor authorised to apprehend villains. That is the job of the police.

Archived