America's Cup Race...

rookie

Though I'm neither a sailor nor a fan of sailboat racing, I did view this year's America Cup Race. Ellison's boat absolutely destroyed it's competition and won back the America's Cup.

Searching for info on Ellison's BMW Oracle sailboat, I was dumbstruck!:

The mast/sail is 68m/225ft tall...nearly twice as tall as the 12-story building I live in!!

When it broke during a trial run, last March in San Diego, it was estimated the replacement cost was $10-million!

The laser device for determining wind speeds, up to a km distant from their position, cost a mere $150,000.

During the race, that the boat could obtain speeds of up to 30-knots...in an 8-knot wind...that fact staggers my imagination.

I was unable to find what the boat actually cost, excluding all the expensive research and testing. That surely would have really blown me away!

Having mega-deep pockets does allow one to buy nice toys!

Absolutely amazing...

It's an absolutely amazing boat, more information in Wikipedia.

I'm not sure I approve, it's a radical departure from the previous format but I suppose money is what matters in yacht racing.

My nephew was on the 2007 Oracle America's Cup team as a sailmaker but missed out because of Volvo Round the World race commitments as bowman on Ericsson4.

Archived