Thai Rural Protesters Prepare to Paint Bangkok Red

Julian2

I detect a genuine note of hysteria entering the argument here.

OK, assuming I don't know all that, and I don't, what has it to do with forming a conclusion from personal observation?

Why is my statement ludicrous? Because you've always personally supported the type of people who are running the country now, regardless of the country you're in or the means they achieved power?

Have you convinced yourself Thaksin and his supporters are "lefties", rural land reformers committed to tearing down the system as thinly disguised Communists?

What is it about some expats and Thai politics?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is my statement ludicrous? Because you've always personally supported the type of people who are running the country now, regardless of the country you're in or the means they achieved power?

A good point! I read a while ago exactly an article about expats and this theme.

:tophat:

OK, assuming I don't know all that, and I don't, what has it to do with forming a conclusion from personal observation?

Have you convinced yourself Thaksin and his supporters are "lefties", rural land reformers committed to tearing down the system as thinly disguised Communists?

No hysteria at all in calling your statement ludicrous. If I had used the work comical, would that have been hysterical as well. Both are accurate assessments.

But it appears you are not the slightest bit interested in actually understanding what is going on and prefer the safety of putting into your little western liberal-conservative box.

The very statement that Thaksin could be a “lefty†or a land reformer shows how little you know and shows how successful Jonathan and Nick have been in promoting the TRT/PPP propaganda to westerners.

TH

So enlighten me... I never said that Thaksin was a leftie, I merely suggested that you may be thinking this, if you wish to reread.

Do you know all this local faction stuff? Do all the expats that rage against Thaksin through the expat media? Are they all wise and sage in the ways of Thailand and those who think like I do all ludicrous comics?

What I do know is Thaksin was deposed by an illegal military coup...

Do you think any other previous Prime Minister could stand a similar scrutiny of his financial affairs? The answer is, of course, they've never had to so that argument isn't relevant.

Do you believe Thailand will return to a government elected by the people? A proper mandate, one not handed to people like Suthep by the courts?

If so when? I can assure you that will finally shut me up, regardless of the outcome.

There could be elections held right now if the Pheu Thai Party lead opposition could pass a “no confidence†vote in the parliament. But they can’t, and the reason they can’t is the ruling coalition has the votes to continue to control the house, mainly due to the continued support from the Bhumjaithai party and the Motherland Party.

The Bhumjaithai Party is made up of former TRT members led by Newin Chidchob , while the Motherland is a mixture of both former TRT members and former TRT opponents. The Motherland’s most famous member, at least in expat circles, was deputy party leader Juthamas Siriwan, who resigned just before the December 2007 election after the her role in the Bangkok Film Festival scandal came out.

Both parties expect to become an alternative, independent of the Thaksin-backed Pheu Thai Party, and the current prime minister's Democrat Party in the elections next year. Neither is ready for an election now, which is why the coalition will likely hold together until the current term runs out December 2011.

I don’t rage against Thaksin, though I do think the level of corruption during his time reached heights not seen since military rule during the 60’s. I do rage against people that don’t bother to learn how the Thai Parliament operates and make inane remarks about Thaksin being some sort of leader of a populist movement that is trying to raise the economic level of the rural poor.

TH

Archived