Thai Rural Protesters Prepare to Paint Bangkok Red

Julian2

It will be a great step forward ... IF the courts go beyond just looking at Thaksin. How about a serious study of all political leaders? :hmmm:

As to not belonging to the "elite", maybe he wasn't in Bangkok ... but:

<< Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming. The Khu/Shinawatra family later founded Shinawatra Silks and then moved into finance, construction and property development. Lert Shinawatra opened a coffee shop and several businesses, and grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district. [color:red]By the time Thaksin was born, the extended Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential in Chiang Mai.[/color] >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it, you bid so much to the Siamese government for the right to collect taxes in an area. Once you obtained the right for that year, you tried to gouge the locals out of as much as you could to make a profit over what you had paid the gomvt. Needless to say, this didn't make the Chinese involved in it very popular.

Here's an article on it that I can't get to load for me. :(

http://www.jstor.org/pss/20070537

Could Thaksin's problem have been trying to move the rural poor into an income bracket where they would have to pay taxes, which would mean of course, the landowners would have to pay them more? Sounds like a pretty good reason for turning the generals loose on him to me.

I really believe Thaksin's help to the rural poor had very little to do with his overthrow. As I've said before, what did him in was taking very profitable appointed positions away from those who had long had them and giving them to his relatives and friends. The man was simply too greedy and was not "playing by the rules". If you want to talk about an "elite", it is these wealthy Chinese-Thai families who saw their income being threatened by him.

One of my colleagues some years ago told me his wife's cousin was the mia noi of some big shot politicians (forget which one). He said the mia noi told him her "husband" was complaining because he had been appointed head of the Telephone Organisation of Thailand. There was no money in that! He wanted a real position ... where he could skim off lots of money.

Could Thaksin's problem have been trying to move the rural poor into an income bracket where they would have to pay taxes, which would mean of course, the landowners would have to pay them more? Sounds like a pretty good reason for turning the generals loose on him to me.

You have spent way too much time listening to the BBC and other foreign correspondents. These landowners you refer to are the people that put Thaksin in office in the first place and many continue to support him now.

This is what made up the TRT as of the 2005 elections. Make your own opinion if this sounds like a bunch of people interested in helping the poor. More likely its a bunch of people interested in how much they can line their pockets and they sure did a good job.

TRT

Wang Bua Ban - Led by Thaksin's sister, Yaowapa Wongsawat,[4] this faction is one of the party's most important groupings, as it includes many members of Prime Minister's inner circle. The faction's base is Thaksin's home province of Chiang Mai.

Wang Nam Yom - Originally a splinter group from Wang Bua Ban,[4] Wang Nam Yom is led by Labour Minister Somsak Thepsutin and Industry Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit, who also serves as Thai Rak Thai's Secretary-General. With the financial backing of Suriya, whose family controls the largest auto parts manufactuer in Thailand, some observers claim that this faction has the resources to form a party in its own right.[4] The group is said to include over 100 MPs, hailing from the northern, northeastern, and central regions of Thailand.[5]

Wang Nam Yen - This is the most notorious faction, led by the veteran political power-broker, Sanoh Thienthong,[4] a former Interior Minister who held the title of Chief Advisor to the Thai Rak Thai Party. A native of Sa Kaeo province, Sanoh in the 1990s built a political empire that came to dominate several border provinces in eastern and northeastern Thailand. Rather than start a political party of his own, however, Sanoh preferred to play the role of kingmaker by shifting his group from party to party.[4] With the collapse in 1992 of the pro-military government, which Sanoh supported, the faction moved to the Chart Thai Party, which went on to win the elections held in 1995. Dissatisfied with his treatment by Chart Thai leader Banharn Silpa-Archa, Sanoh then defected to the New Aspiration Party, giving it enough support to narrowly win the 1996 elections. However, with New Aspiration's star waning after it was forced out of power in 1997, Sanoh decided to cast his lot with Thai Rak Thai before the 2001 elections. Since joining Thai Rak Thai, however, Wang Nam Yen has largely been sidelined by Thaksin, who does not completely trust Sanoh. As a result, Sanoh has become one of Thaksin's most vocal critics in the Thai Rak Thai Party. Wang Nam Yen's electoral fortunes have also declined slightly since joining Thai Rak Thai at the expense of other factions, and as of February 2006, Sanoh commands the loyalty of only 37 MPs.[6] He and his wife resigned from the TRT in February 2006 to establish the Pracharaj Party. It is unclear how many followers from the Wang Nam Yen faction will defect from the TRT.

Wang Phayanak - This group is led by Deputy Prime Minister Phinij Jarusombat,[4] who was leader of the small Seritham Party before it merged with Thai Rak Thai after the 2001 elections. Most of the faction's following of approximately 30 MPs (as of December 2005) hail from the northeastern region, where the group often competes with Wang Nam Yen for influence.

Wang Lam Takong - This faction is composed of the remnants of the old Chart Pattana (National Development) Party, which merged into Thai Rak Thai before the 2005 elections. Chart Pattana's former leader, Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop, serves as the head of this group. The faction's influence derives from its strength in the country's second-most populous province, Nakhon Ratchasima, which was the stronghold of Chart Pattana. Wang Lam Katong's membership is estimated to include as many as 20 MPs.

Bangkok Faction - The leader of this group is Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan, who was a key figure in the former Palang Dharma Party that Thaksin led in the mid-1990s. As a result, Sudarat is said to be capable of wielding significant influence over the Prime Minister. The faction includes all the Thai Rak Thai's MPs who represent Bangkok and a handful of others from the surrounding region. Together with a small number of party-list MPs allied with Sudarat, the faction's total membership is estimated to include over 30 MPs.

Chonburi Faction - Former Sports & Tourism Minister Sonthaya Khunpluem leads this faction,[4] which split from the Chart Thai Party before the 2005 elections to join Thai Rak Thai. Sonthaya's father is the infamous Somchai Khunpluem, the "godfather" of Chonburi who is better known as "Kamnan Po." The dominant political force in the eastern provinces of Chonburi and Rayong, this faction counts approximately seven MPs under its wing.[5]

Buri Ram Faction - Like the Chonburi Faction, this group also defected from the Chart Thai Party before the 2005 elections. The faction's leader is Prime Minister's Office Minister Newin Chidchob,[4] probably the most popular members of Thai Rak Thai and was at the time considered to be one of Thaksin's right hand men. With a solid base in Newin's home province of Buri Ram and in neighboring Surin Province, the faction is estimated to include 10 to 15 MPs.

Phor Mod Dam - This group, also known as "Rim Nam", is led by Deputy House Speaker Suchart Tancharoen,[4] a key figure in the former New Aspiration Party, which merged with Thai Rak Thai after the 2001 elections. The faction has around 15 members.[5][7]

Maleenont Faction - Led by Sports & Tourism Minister (as of February 2006) Pracha Maleenont, whose family controls the local broadcasting and entertainment group BEC World. This group's influence derives from the Maleenont family's role as one of the leading financiers of the Thai Rak Thai Party. The faction controls approximately 10 MPs (as of December 2006).

Pongsak Faction - Under the leadership of Transport Minister (as of February 2006) Pongsak Raktapongpisak, this group has emerged recently as a significant force within the party, counting approximately 30 MPs as supporters as of December 2005. Pongsak's alleged close friendship with Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, the wife of Prime Minister Thaksin, is said to allow him to wield considerable influence over party and government affairs.

Guilty of listening to the BBC and other foreign correspondents. And most other news groups including Fox and CNN.

I spend a little time reading The Nation/ThaiVisa.com also, which makes them sound so much more plausible.

ThaiHome, I live in rural Thailand, and have for a while. I can form a conclusion from what I see and hear locally, not what I read or listen to on TV.

Archived