Any Taxi improvements in BKK Airport

Alfmaz

Hi,

"By this sharp move you do indeed save 50 Baht airport charges ."

Not necessarily. Dropped off my cousin a few weeks back and on the way back took at cab from the departures. First guy running up to me wanted 50 Baht on top of meter, I declined. Another walked over offering meter + 30. Took that one as it was late and I wanted to go home and sleep.

What he told me was that the guards are allowing them to wait for a passenger, but only after paying them 30 Baht.

True or not, I do not know, but wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, if you have any more luggage than you can comfortably carry it certainly isn't worth the hassle to walk to departures when arriving.

Sanuk!

happened at Don Muang, driver had to pay 20B to security guy before he could take off, I only paid for meter.

But they moved the "official" taxi stand to ground level, so walk to departures or taxi stand same same? Except departures you need to walk to outer curb.

Hmmm, what a dilemma, arriving Monday 7pm with hand luggage and hotel on Ratchadpisek, I understand that will save me the second toll, 45B? add 50B savings for not using the taxi stand and then spending 5k B on drinks and ladies :easter:

Around Christmas took a cab from departures to Pattaya, first taxi driver asked 1500B next one 800B, good deal.

Last week nasty surprise, I wanted a large taxi - as I had a lot of people and luggage travelling with me.

To get the larger sized taxi I had to pay a non meter fee.

I always wondered what the taxis lined up as you get your piece of paper where doing.

Seems the head of "Let's be honest Taxi's" is the same woman who sells them as premium taxi's.

nice one - even the Taxi driver who took me eventually said she was a bad lady but no one brave enough to do anything as she had friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I used a taxi to BKK: ( August last year)

walked out ( outside exit 8or 9 ?? )

say suk soi 15

driver gets the stuff

puts it in the trunk and turns on meter ( about 200++)

no hassle no long waiting time at queue ( 2-5 mins ?? ) enough welcome time to smoke a cigarette.

After having waited at the emigration and Luggage arrival , those 5 mins don't matter anyway.

bubi,

quite amazing the value of shared knowledge among highflyers on internet forums :rolleyes:

but the real advantage of pimping your own ride at bkk is the ability to choose your car/driver which counts even more on long trips :up:

the official Que is infamous for the oldest/worst taxis in the country (well phuket may beat bkk just about in that regard!) :banghead:

I speak no Thai , Sir . If the driver is a toothless alcoholic from Chinatown or the winner of last years South East Asian Writers Trophy is of no significance even if the ride takes us to Nong Kai .

Having said that : the Don Muang version of the Thai Airways limousines did offer female drivers . In which case I would INSIST on a break somewhere half way late evening . Maybe .

Archived