Part V and the end "The Power of Thailand"

Day 7 in BKK and the trip home

I had a few things I wanted to accomplish on my trip to Thailand.

1) Get a soapy at CPII or Annies.

2) Go to Soi Cowboy

3) Go Nana Plaza

4) Buy the ugliest Rolex nock off I could find

5) And ride the Sky Train

So far I had accomplished none of my goals, not that the Rolex opportunities had been lacking, lord knows I had no excuse for that one. But the other goals had escaped me because of my limited time in BKK and the fact I was traveling as part of a pack. So when we got to BKK that morning, I had dreams of soapy?s, and fishbowls dancing in my head.

Thailand is almost like Disney World in the fact you can run yourself ragged trying to do all the things you want to accomplish if you do not have enough time allotted for your trip. And trust me 7 days trying to do Phuket and BKK is not enough time. The next trip is going to be at least 2 weeks, or at least that?s my story and I?m sticking with it. I had two choices while there, go with the flow and relax or try to spend every minute rushing to do all of the available things in Phuket. I?m real glad I chose the former, some of the best times I had in Thailand was just taking a couple of hours relaxing and reading a book.

We were picked up at the airport by A (the Thai native friend), so I never got to experience the Legendary Thai Taxi drive to downtown BKK. A took us to his place to deposit our things then gave us a tour of his business in BKK. I have read about the Thai way of running business?s, but it was obvious that A?s time in the states had gave him an excellent example of running his place. Excuse my American Jingoism for a bit, but the one thing that we are generally good at is treating the customer as King, some times to a fault. So I enjoyed spending time with A discussing different aspects of the Thai economy and what he was trying to accomplish. Although, during A?s tour, half my mind was thinking my time could be better spent picking a lovely out of a fishbowl for a soapy.

So by the time we were showered and ready to go out to meet D, (K had to fly out that morning for Japan) it was already 6:00. We took a cab to the Sky Train, and got on the far end to make our way to downtown. The Sky Train is a unique experience, when we got on at the far end, our train had maybe a total of 8 people on it. As we went along, I was wondering and maybe hoping it would fill up so I could get the complete experience.

Be careful what you hope for, because you just might?.

First stop, a few more people, and the next a lot more people, and an amazing potpourri of people it was. I started doing that guessing game as a few genuine stunners got on. By the third stop it was getting a little crowded, I was thinking if you?re claustrophobic this might be a problem for someone. Damn, I?m claustrophobic. The next stop pretty much filled up all the standing room, well that?s what I thought before we got to the station where the other Sky Train meets. Ok, breathe in, Mai pen rae, only three or four more stops to paradise. The doors open, surely they will see its full, no room at the inn so to speak.

?Personal space, I don?t need no stinking personal space?.

One, two, three get in, four five six, you get the idea. I?m only about 6 feet from the door, but I might as well be a mile, as person after person pushed there way on. Okay, where is that damn, ding ding that indicates the doors are going to close. At the other stops it seems like you have maybe 35 sec?s tops to get on the train. One minute, two minute?s, where?s that unholy ding ding at. Not only am I stuck but also the impossible is happening, more people trying to get on, for the love of all things holy, there?s no room. My mind may be playing tricks on me but maybe after 8 minutes the ding ding finally rings. As we zipped to the next stop, and wondering if these things were designed to make the turns with 4 times recommend capacity on board, a man with some sort of stomach problems decided to releave some of his distress and add to mine. I swear to god I would have got off on the next stop if that would have been physically possible. But whatever overcrowding was lessened, was picked up by the slack that was getting on. Two more stops later, all common courtesy that I was raised with was lost in my mad rush to follow S and A off the train. Scratch number 5 off the to do list, never to be added to another list again.

We had gotten off a couple of blocks walk away from Soi33 and we met at the BBQ place. D caught us up on the goings on at the Richmond bar, there was one in particular that was anxious to see S after his mistaken 4000 baht tip. N from my first day there had obviously remembered that I told her I would stop by and see her on my return through BKK, and had mentioned to D not to forget to stop by on our night out. And to be honest, N was a great lady to be with, only being a little young at 19 for my tastes, so I was ready to get to Richmond, with the understanding that we only stay an hour so I could at least get to Soi Cowboy.

Walking back into the Richmond Bar, I had N with a huge smile on her face in my arms before my second step in the place. I know this so happy to see you ?like lovers cruelly separated for a couple of years and now reunited? is a fantasy, but damn it I like those fantasy?s and feeling her in my arms again was wonderful. We did a couple of hours with the fun staff of Richmond, and finally I tore D away from N?s roommate, with assurances to N that we would be back, I was finally going to get to Soi Cowboy.

S and A decided to call it a night so D and myself were off in a cab to Soi Cowboy. We stopped on the other side of the street, and made our way across the street. I was trying to rack my mind of the places I had read about and the only one that came to mind was the Dollhouse and Midnight bars. As we got to the other side, I still did not see my Holy Grail and was getting a little anxious, ?calm down grasshopper?, my sensei D told me. Finally up the side street and a right turn we were there.

Not sure what I thought it would be like, bigger maybe, but the Cowboy was not really what I was expecting, until I saw that neon Holy Grail sign showing the way to the Dollhouse. But my sensei being the cruel guy he is made a detour at the Tilac bar, the dollhouse would have to wait. The Tilac, I have to be honest had the least appealing BG?s I had seen since being in Thailand. In fact the only overweight Thai I saw, was dead center in front of me dancing on the bar with what had to be 10 inch solid heels on her feet. Started to remind me of the strip clubs I had left the states for. Actually ended up having a good time there playing a dice game with a couple of staff members that put the dancers to shame there. After getting my rear kicked at a bar game for the umpteenth time, I finally talked D into going next door to the Dollhouse.

I liked the dollhouse a lot, two floors of decent looking BG?s, and the non-attack mentality that I learned to appreciate in the better Go Go?s. A quick message for the tourist looking for nudity, besides the didling done at different bars in the area, this was the first time I had seen nudity on the stage (all upstairs). So if naked dancers are your thing, you might be a little disappointed. For myself this was no big thing, being the type of guy who likes the ?unwrapping the present aspect? of Sanuk. But tonight was not going to be my night for a Soi Cowboy experience, D?s Richmond find started text messaging D, promising all kinds of torrid things that us men tend to appreciate. And to be honest my mind was on N, so after some small talk with the ladies of Dollhouse we were back into a Cab heading to Soi 33. Number 2 on the hit list down, but for the next trip, to be explored more thoroughly.

Back at the Richmond, I bar fined N, had a beer with D and his lady, then out the door. N wanted to stop by Monet, and loving the lady?s and atmosphere from the last time I had not problem complying. Also remember N?s unending energy on the dance floor, wanted to avoid a disco at all costs. At the Monet for the next couple of hours was one of the biggest party atmospheres that I had ever partaken in. Two very drunk and loose with the money Australian guys and myself ended up getting this side of blottoed and danced the night away with the girls of Monet. Good attitude and looks are in abundance at this bar, if for some reason N?s friend is not there on my next trip, I will be spending some time there.

After my fun experience with the last short time hotel in BKK, I asked N if something-different (read closer/safer) was available. To my surprise, the Richmond itself has a couple of very nice rooms available upstairs for 1000 baht. Our room had everything, nice tub for two, AC, clean, modern, and thank goodness, no TV. So I was able to spend a few hours with N before having to get back to A?s to leave for the airport. As N came with me again in the cab, due to my new location, and the mystery of street numbering in BKK, I was for the first time becoming sad. You know eventually that his all has to end, it?s just harder with a beautiful lady in a cab, giving you that last little taste of beautiful Thailand. So with that last kiss, in a sense, my trip to Thailand ended.

The trip back was uneventful, a little sleep here and there. The least enjoyable part, waking up and realizing your not in Thailand anymore. So 30 hours from that last kiss, I was sitting down doing the only thing I could to make that place a half way around the world seem closer, writing a trip report.

Oh, I forgot to mention what happened with the lovely C and S. The next morning before the flight out of Phuket, S met me for breakfast and had the look of a totally happy man. So in my mind the question was already answered, as we did our last breakfast of the morning the story unfolded. C and S had went to eat as planned, and when I didn?t show, went to a coffee shop to chat further. At the coffee shop, C basically indicated that she would love to spend S?s last night with him. Weather you believe this or not, I do, knowing S for the last 22 years like I have, but S told C what he had told me before he went. He loved his wife, and no night of passion was worth him giving up his peace of mind for. Hearing this story, I was happy for S, and a little upset with myself for trying to push him in a direction that would have ultimately made him miserable. But S on the plane home, told me he had the time of his life, and no regrets, so like I said, Thailand has a different effect on everyone, but its all good, and that?s ?The Power of Thailand?.

I am already planning my next trip, I?m sure it will be an annual thing for me. With plane ticket and everything included, I spent just under 2000 USD on the trip, so Thailand doesn?t have to be a budget buster. Not sure if I will go solo or not, I don?t think it would be hard to find a travel partner. In fact, of the group of friends of S and myself, two have pledged to go just based on the story?s we brought back with us.

In closing if you haven?t been to Thailand and have been thinking about it, go. Go with an attitude of refreshing your mind and spirit. Go with the intent of having the time of your life. Go with the idea that there is a place, where all men are created equal and are endowed with certain inaeliable rights (sorry, getting a little carried away), but above all just go.

The pangs of missing Thailand have subsided somewhat the last five days, thanks in part to this great message board and just time passing, but Thailand is something that will never be forgotten. It didn?t make a hard man humble, but it sure made a hard man happy.

The end

Until December, no October, wait, maybe September.

Great trip report - thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I was intrigued about the Hard Rock bar - do you mean the Hard Rock Cafe?

If so I know that they had quite a few more than 5 tables you mention (maybe because some were almost behind the band so you do not notice them.

How did you find the freelancers there?

Thanks for the reply's everyone, nice to know I'm not alone in this new addiction. Pom, its almost beyond the junkie stage, I'm thinking about a return trip this summer. Just not sure if it would be better to go in july or to wait until December, shoot why limit myself, maybe I will do both. *L* But in all seriousness, have any of you visited in the summertime, I can handle the heat, just dont want to get rained on all the time. Steve, I did mean the Hard Rock Cafe, just was taking a little poetic license with the size. But we did have a good time at the Hard Rock, have you spent much time in that bar?

Hi,

Wow, if I had the choice of july or december or both, I'll be out of here in no time and gone twice !!!!

As for heat in july, yes, it is warm, but the hottest months are now, march / april / may.....

Just go to a nice place with a decent A/C..........lol

>have any of you visited in the summertime, I can handle the heat,

>just dont want to get rained on all the time.

>

Typically it does not rain all the time in the summer. Yes, there can be heavy rain, but usually it does not last very long. I find the weather quite pleasant, since I don't enjoy sunburn and with a cloudy sky it is also not hellishly hot. Most of my trips have been in the summer; I had never visited Thailand during the high season (December) until last year. There are worse things in life than being trapped in your hotel room with a local lass...

Wagner

Thanks, Ok I'm going in July, that didnt take a lot of arm twisting did it. Would love to hook up with some of you guys and exchange story's. Let me know if any of you are going to be there in the July timeframe. I want to experience pattaya and spend more time in BKK, of course with a trip to Phuket. Maybe one of you can show me the ropes at Pattaya. I forgot to answer the question about free lancers. They are in abudance at the Tiger Disco and also all the Discos at the eastern end of Bangla Rd.

Have been to the hard rock a few times. If I am with a BG who I'm getting on with (in terms of conversation) I like to go there to have a late snack and listen to the band - good atmosphere - and I really enjoy the evening which really sets up the nightime activities in a good mood. Have also met quite a few other fellow sanukers as well - makes for a good night.

Have noticed one or two good looking apparant freelancers there, but as my trips are always fairly short (around 1 week) so never risked going there on the off-chance - I always want to get the girl of my choice before serious drinking or partying.

Have wondered whether it is a place people have been able to rely getting a girl from and what rates were being charged.

Archived