Part V and the end "The Power of Thailand"

Not to beat a dead horse, but great trip report! Thanks for helping me remember why I miss the place so much. I haven't been to any of the places that you mentioned, so it's good to see a Newbie's perspective on them.

Also want to agree that I am the most relaxed when in Thailand. I remember my last trip, sipping coffee on a bench on Beach Road in Pattaya, and shooting the breeze with one of the boat tour guys, knowing that the second half of last night's 'long time' was waiting for me back in the hotel. That's my definition of joy!

I'll be there in the summer, but probably a few weeks before you.

Welcome to the dark side! ]:-) <Evil Laughter>

T

Mr. Tudball,

First of all, great report. Welcome to our cruel and twisted world. But I should say, get help, surley there is a 12 step program somewhere to help you before you go over the edge, which I fear, you are dangerously close to. I was once a young wide eyed lad, well educated, good home, military service, athletic, in great shape, my whole life ahead of me. Then, after listening to my cousin's stories and others I went to BKK, "how great can it be?" I thought "surely these guys are full of it..." now, well, to put it mildly, I am lucky I am still breathing! I should have died long ago, liver trouble, aids, clap whatever. Maybe there really is Embalming fluid in Mekong, and that is what has preserved me all these years.

But I digress, so here I am 16+ years or so later, and life has never been the same. I compare all things to LOS. When I buy something, I think wow, that would be ??? ST or XX LT in LOS, do I really need it or should I save it for my next trip? What excuse can I give my boss this time to justify more excused time off for another trip? Wife sick in BKK? Kid sick in BKK? both? In law's cows died?

I go to the liquor store, and pay out the ass for Singha, just so "I feel at home." I can't believe Mekong isn't really popular. I hate the idea of food without Chillies! Even Mexican food isn't spicy enough for me anymore. Clearly, I have gone over the edge. Passed the point of no return, well passed. So far passed, that my family (poor excuse they are, but that's another issue), has hired an attorney, as they feel I am no longer in charge of my actions, believing I have been brain washed by some form of Thai bar going cult. I am almost certain a deprogramer is soon to follow.

So. o.k. you see the path I am on, granted the road less traveled, but it suits me. So o.k. you have gone down the same road a bit, had some fun, a few laughs, gotten a few stories to tell your son on his 21st birthday. But I think you should quit now, for your own good. Before it is too late. Take a look at me, damn it, a good look...don't let this happen to you! Go now, find a nice farang girl, settle down, move to the bland suburbs, and never speak of this LOS thing again, go now before it is to late. Sadly, for you I think it is. For me also.

Steve, Tbear, Thanks for the kind words, I loved both of your trip reports. If I had any doubts leading up to my trip I just thought of Tbear singing "hotel California" or some of Choc Steves Pattaya story's and my doubts would just fade away.

Old Hippie, your right, it is to late. That was funny stuff, where were you before I took a bite out of that forbidden apple? I just booked for August, oh the humantity.

MrTudball,

You have made a choice you will no doubt regret sooner or later (and if it is later close to the end, who really cares?). So if you are going to something, do it all the way right, or not at all. No half assing around! Come August, go out and make us all proud to say we know you! Good luck and Godspeed then Mate!

Thanks for the effort and well written report. I just posted a couple of trip reports in last week on freelancerbar.com under the name Hubster. You'll have to join (free) to view them though. I was going to post here, but both trips to LOS I've spent in Pattaya, so felt a little funny posting here.

After reading your post, I was originally planning on going back with some friends in November, but now may also do July. Your writing is too good, it makes me want to go back. If it looks like we're going to be there at same time, I'd be more than happy to take you around Pattaya. Rusty, hopefully you can make it too, as I enjoyed your reports.

Hub

Archived