Bunch of Idiots

radioman

USVirgin/Spiceman...

This type of story rings a bell. I'm suspecting that the passenger probably heard "Oakland" and "Auckland" and didn't catch the relative difference.

I recall a similar bit of "confusion" first hand. I was aboard a "red eye" on American Airlines from LAX-IAD. (Washington, D.C.) As the aircraft taxied to the runway for takeoff, the stewardess (that's what they were called in those days) welcomed everybody aboard and announced that our flight time to Dulles International Airport would be 6 hours and some minutes. One passenger on the half-full flight raised his hand and exclaimed, "Dulles? I thought this was going to Dallas." 55555555555 He probably was in the bar too long and misread the destination at the gate. Too, depending on the accent of the person who made the boarding announcement could have confused the guy. So this stuff does happen. (The guy did end up going to Dulles, but was able to catch a flight to Dallas in time for his meeting...thanks to time zone differences. 555555555)

HH

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Auckland guy discovered his fate in a similar fashion. After 2 hours, he asked a flight attendant if they would be landing in Oakland soon (just as your kids might ask from the back seat of the car on a long drive). Flight attendant replied, "No, but we'll be landing in Tahiti in 6 hours." 555

Archived