NCAA may xpand to 96 in March Madness

Steve

For the record, I'm totally against it. It waters down the tournament. We all know this is about one thing and one thing only: Money.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaatournament-expansion

I hate Duke, but agree with Krzyzewski in that I'd expand it to the conference champions. For me, its more worthy than the conference tournament champion.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said he would like to see regular-season and conference tournament champions get automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.

“The regular season would mean something,†he said. “There would still be bubble teams and all that, but we would reward those teams accordingly. And I would still like the conference tournament champions. They make a lot of money and celebrate each conference. I think it’s a way of each conference celebrating their conference, which is a good thing.â€Â

Steve...I also am against it. I haven't watched even one stinking game in the tournament and have avoided even the highlights on TV and the internet. Not until the "Final Four" do I check the TV schedule, and if there isn't a team from West of the Rockies still playing, I'm likely to be found someplace other than in front of a TV watching the semi's or finals. Haven't checked lately, but doubt if any teams seated between 8 and 16 in the Regionals make it to the Sweet 16. Just a buch of teams in there filling out a bracket.

This year the PAC 10 was UGLY. I don't know if any team deserved to be the League champ. Since the league schedule is basically a league tournamet, there isn't any reason (other than money) for a league championship tournament.

One thing this March Madness does is bolster the argument of a Collegiate Football Play off. The seasons of basketball and football are nearly the same in terms of length of schedule. So the same-o same-o excuse from Uni presidents that it would make the football season last too long doesn't hold water. It would not be any longer than what the March Madness nonsense takes now.

I rarely watch NBA playoff until the conference Championship games come on. I don't bother with the divisional games. With the NBA, you see some specutacular shoot and movement from a few stars. The rest of the guys are merely back-up singers. How interesting is it to see a 7'10" player jump up and dunk a ball 10 times/game. For me, it isn't interesting at all. I think reading "Personal Foul" by Tim Donohy a few months ago helped push me further from interest in the pro game. Whether or not he was rightly villified for betting on NBA games while he was officiating, is one thing. But facts seemed to bear out the truth he was saying about stuff that was/has been going on in high profile games with high profile players and managers.

I agree with you, but I'd be willing to go along with coach Krzyzewski's idea (on the condition he changes his surname to ShaChefSki, which I might be able to spell).

To me, the tournament is one of the best sports spectacles in this country, and this is a case of fixing something that ain't broke, for money.

Underdogs like Northern Iowa and St. Mary's had good runs under under the present system, and now we have Butler going home to Indy in the final four. I like it. Some teams will always be excluded from the tournament, no matter where the line is drawn. Diluting the field seems idiotic to me, from a (casual) fan standpoint.

LMU's bid after Hank Gathers' death was one of the best underdog stories I've ever seen in sports. But that team earned their right to play with the big boys. Upsets are cool, I love 'em, but let's not overdo it, if that makes any sense. :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived