Chiang Mai

dave32

Travelling alone to CM for a week at the end of the month. Going out of curiosity. Never been there and utterly clueless about the area.

Looking for input on places worth the effort to go/see/do (or avoid), be it eating, nightlife, cultural spots of interest, or whatever.

Thanks~

Get a hotel near the ThaPae gate/Night Market area Dave, there's plenty there in the 500/1500B range.

Plenty of action and things to see.

Unfortunately the worst time of the year, hot, dry and smoky.

Think about hiring a car and having a run further north, do the big loop.... Fang, ThaTon, Mae Salang, Mae Sai, Chiang Saen, Chiang Kong, Chiang Rai. Couple of nights should do it.

With all of two day's experience there, I might recommend a trip to Doi Suthep. Bringing along a girl might be a good idea, so you don't get too bored. On the way, along the road that leads you out of CM, I would recommend a pub called "The Pub", if it's still there. Favorite local of old time poster Jonwilly; friendly bar, no monkey business going on that I knew of.

We stayed at the Montri.

Centrally located near gate.

I wanted to take train from BKK to Chaing Mai but we ended up with Thai Airways.

Went to local travel/tour agent near Montri. Took a couple of day tours - minibus tours.

Not nearly as hectic at BKK or Pattaya.

All in all interesting.

The train is an overnighter. I used to take it often years ago. Get a sleeper on the side opposite the sun! You arrive in CM early in the morning. When you board the train, order a yam pla grawp (crispy fish salad) and a big ice cold Singha (or two). Then you'll be ready to turn in early and doze for the night.

Thanks dudes. Got several possibilities - culled from here and a little net research - now listed on the Chiang Mai spreadsheet. Will run the 'what the fuck should I do today' algorithm once I get there and act accordingly.

And then send an update. Or some feeble attempt thereof.

Archived