Somali pirates hijacked three Thai fishing vessel

pasathai1

I hope that the crew on those boats were the descendants of the THAI PIRATES who regularly beat, tortured and raped Vietnamese and Chinese refugees fleeing Vietnam in the 1970s and 1980s, and that if so, they were treated in kind.

But probably not. I read a great, detailed article about the whole Somali pirate INDUSTRY in Wired Magazine last year: it's this whole complex business enterprise, with the Somalis, neighboring country governments and various Western "security firms" all playing their part in agreement and support of each other...

A friend taught at the Thai Naval Academy back when the fisherman were brutalising the Viet refugees. He asked some RTN officers about it. They said that criminals and fugitives often joined fishing boat crews to hide out. Then they sometimes took over the boats and led them in the attacks. That may account for some of it, but every Thai I've talked of speaks of Thai fisherman with fear and loathing. Even the Thais are afraid of them. Remember those arsehole fishermen who raped and then drowned a Brit gal on Samui a few years back? They actually bragged about it when they got back on their boat.

I think most of the current bad feelings about Thai fisherman is due to the fact that some companies are still resorting to kidnapping young street guys and putting them on the boats for years at a time. My brother in law worked on one for a year some twenty year ago, he won’t even talk about it.

TH

Sorry I meant books.

I assume the info above wasn't gleaned off websites. Plenty of dubious stuff out there, especially in conspiracy directions.

But yes I will of course read up on what I find on the net too.

If anyone knows of a particularly good book on it, that'd be good to hear too.

Archived