Abhisit Live on BBC World Now

Mekong

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zeinab Badawi? She gives me the 'orn.

But I know what you mean in relation to her interview style.

Yes that's her. Gives you the horn? Ya mean she turns you on or she pisses you off?

I didn't notice it in other interviews she's done in the past, never had any kind of negative impression of her before. I think she was pumping it up knowing this was HardTalk and that's what's expected -- but doing your homework is also expected, and she clearly hadn't done that. But her way of just ignoring the idea that terrorist tactics like bombing commuter train stations just made it look like she has no ethical grounding whatsoever. It has to be said that Abhisit himself wasn't very effective at pressing that point though, and forcing her to acknowledge the point (for example, to ask her how the British government would respond if a tube station was attacked with grenades by protestors, with one commuter killed and 80 or so injured). When she interrupted his "long answer" it was a suitable time to ask her if she wanted him to give a sensible answer or a quick sound byte of false information as she just had.

I watched this live on the BBC and it was the worst interview I have EVER seen. This woman not only looked as if somebody had poured acid on her, but she was ill prepared, ill informed and sadly totally biased. The BBC lost a lot of points with me on that show and I will certainly spend more time with CNN (and I hate 'CNN Asia')instead from now on.

The Thai PM didnt do very well as noted, but he could hardly have anticipated this bitch of a woman's behaviour and his much too polite and vague answers seemed to have assumed that the BBC was aware of how serious a threat the Red shirt movement is. Clearly they are waaay out of touch and next time on the BBC, the Thai PM should show them some actual pictures and real-life video to contest whatever disinformation and propaganda the BBC is currently buying into.

Yeah it was strange the way he completely failed to state his case, or fight at all when it was obvious her gloves were off.

I haven't seen it yet but there actually was also an interview on CNN with Christiane Amanpour (funny how CNN gives him the VIP treatment while BBC calls in the sub). I did NOT see that one yet, but Amanpour at least is no hack, so I'd expect her at least not to ignore something like lobbing grenades onto commuter train platforms or whatever as not worth a moment's thought.

I did see a story on CNN's website (text, not video) that summarized the conflict in a fairly balanced way, not just totally ignoring the aspect of Thaksin's corruption or autocratic tendencies.

I haven't noticed BBC being one-sided in its reporting, tho its possibel I just haven't tuned into it. But this lady, definitely yes, big time.

About his seeming to assume the BBC knew more -- yes a good example of that was how he referred (again, pretty vaguely) to the "so-called 'men in black'" as if that phrase made it understood. I'm watching thinking, go on Abby, explain what happened, how there were death squads out there amongst the protestors assassinating commanders and trying to escalate violence, and how it's all caught on video just go to youtube and the evidence is undeniable. But no, he left it at so called men in black, and that was the end of that. One more point not made.

Actually the Amanpour interview is up online, just found a link, which I'll post in a separate thread. Bust doesn't like it when we start new threads. Therefore I will. ;)

Turns him on - I know the type that does' date=' usually female and darker than blonde does it for him. [/quote']

...usually female ??? if not the "usual", then...

Think he meant the following:

female and usually darker than blonde does it for him.

At least I hope so ;-)

I think you're right about Badawi's attitude. She had to come across as tough because the show is more entertaining that way. Abhisit was probably trying to come across as reasonable and conciliatory for the BBC audience (whatever that is) because he's basically a nice guy. He's like a farang trying to understand Thais. In fact he's caught in the middle. One day it's about negotiations. Next day it's about cracking down to keep to keep PAD and Sondhi happy. He's probably not sure where he stands himself. Bit like me really. ;)

Archived