Memory card issues rant

TroyinEwa/Perv

I posted a week or so ago about wanting to transfer music to a memory card from a PC. All my attempts failed. So when I was asked to transfer data (music and pics) from a 1 gig mem card to a 2 gig card, I shuddered. I knew I couldn't do this so I figured I'd take it to a shop that deals with computers and have it done. Simple.

Walk to the first shop I see and the girl is eating some fruit with a guy sitting next to her, both looking at different computers, him with a headset on. I ask her in Thai if she spoke English and she said she did. I told her what I wanted and she took the 2 cards out of the plastic bags I had them in. She took one and tried to plug it into a converter, backwards. Possibly damaging it. She then asked the guy for help who looked at another converter, turned it this way and that and shrugged. Puts his headset back on. The girl puts the mem card back in the bag and can't seem to find the other one she just had seconds ago. Moving the keyboard around, she finds it in her plate of juice from the fruit she was eating. Fucking lovely.

Walking back, I find a small shop that repairs computers. Guy couldn't speak English but with my limited Thai, he tells me he can't do it today (too busy for a 5 minute job) but his friend can do it. Points me in the direction of his friend's shop. I get there and try to open the door but it's locked. I guess my attempting to open the door awoke the oldest guy I had ever seen in my life who was sleeping on the other side of it. He jumped up (as fast as someone as old as dirt can jump) and just looked at me through the glass. I smiled, said mai pen rai and walked home.

What is it with me and memory cards???

Am I technically challenged?

My very first MP3 player.

Didn't have a clue as to how to get my songs (on and from my computer) onto the MP3 player.

So I telephoned the MP3 Player Manufacturer for technical support.

I asked where is the software to place songs onto my new MP3 player.

There is and was no software for this inexpensive MP3 Player.

Troy,

usually not a difficult task to copy data from one media to another. As long as you can make it accessible to your computer.

What kind of Memory card is it? There are several models, if you don't know it's most times written on the card itself. Do you have a card reader in your computer? or a card reader that plugs into USB? If yes, are you able to insert the card into the card reader?

Usually no software needed. You plug the player into any USB port and the device is recognized as a removable drive. You just copy and paste file onto the player as you would with every other USB stick.

Troy,

usually not a difficult task to copy data from one media to another. As long as you can make it accessible to your computer.

What kind of Memory card is it? There are several models, if you don't know it's most times written on the card itself. Do you have a card reader in your computer? or a card reader that plugs into USB? If yes, are you able to insert the card into the card reader?

Yes, I have a card reader that plugs into a USB. Thanks for the reply but problem solved. Took it to Seacon Square to one of the dozens of mobile phone kiosks and got it done already. Probably should learn how to do it but for now, no need.

Usually no software needed. You plug the player into any USB port and the device is recognized as a removable drive. You just copy and paste file onto the player as you would with every other USB stick.

And I listened to the tech support person state exactly as above. There is no software. And' date=' again, I felt like an idiot.[/i']

Archived