Influence of this trouble on neighbours?

Coss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe one of the countries will be the new Siamese Republic of Lanna and Isaan, with new Malaysian border up around Surat Thani?

Then the brilliant Hi-so Chinese elite Bangkokians can take their rightful place as world economic leaders without the buffaloes around their neck to drag them down?

Works for me. I've never had much use of that area of LoS anyway (save a few friends who chose to live there).

How long before the plaintive bleats of "help us, we're poor, give us aid!" after they become sovereign and figure out the world costs money to live in and they have no tax base? 30 days? Less?

It will work for us too if they nationalise all centrally owned farms and industries, create real jobs and start selling goods and produce to Bangkok at real prices.

Most people don't mind paying taxes if they're earning real money.

But then that's liberal thought, my apologies for lowering the tone of the discussion. You can come out from under the bed now.

Nationalising stuff stuff? No that's communism and we all know that doesn't work. I value experience. That's not on the table in the real world. But hey, do that in "red land" if you see fit.

Selling stuff at a market price? I'm good with all that. Surprised? Of course, that means that rice that is worth B6500/t is now gonna be worth just that as that's the market price. Not B10k/t as the reds want from the Abhisit government. Oops.

Funny how I am considered a commie-pinko in the US...

>Same for Laos, lot's just change at swampy and head up, not sure how Laos numbers are doing<

recent phonecall (yesterday) with someoen on the fringe of tourist industry in VT-Laos, said numbers were down a lot recently.

recent phonecall (yesterday) with someoen on the fringe of tourist industry in VT-Laos, said numbers were down a lot recently.

I think a lot of backpackers do the circuit when they come to SE Asia - Vietnam and possibly Cambo could be benefiting from the situation in Thailand, or they might simply have put their trip on the backburner until they can do all the countries on their wish list in one go. They interviewed a few Aussie tourists boarding planes for BKK yesterday and they didnt seem overly concerned, but it would a good time to go straight from Subarnapoom to Koh Chang or similar - difficult to imagine too many Red Shirt blockades over there.

Archived