A Guide to the Perfect Thai Idiot

I think this article represents more than the truth about Thais. It is more like a universal truth. You could replace Thai with Dutch, American, British or bankers and it would also apply.

You want to change the world, start by yourself.

He has quite a few good articles on his Website if interested.

Excellent. Thanks for the link.

Cent

Hope you enjoyed.

i wouldn't say that I know Sawai but I have met him socially on numerous occasions through my wifes contacts, bloody interesting guy to have a discussion with.

I think this article represents more than the truth about Thais. It is more like a universal truth. You could replace Thai with Dutch, American, British or bankers and it would also apply.

You want to change the world, start by yourself.

No, you can't. I disagree.

And, it is not talking about the world, it is an article, written by an intelligent Thai, about Thais and Thailand. Apples and oranges man. It is also about the scale of their own problems and people. If you want to compare than compare with the west and show the differences in these aspects of Thais and Thailand he talks/writes about.

Cent,

did you read the opening paragraph??????

[color:red][/color]Quote....In 1996, three Latin Americans wrote a best-selling book in Spanish which was later translated into English as Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot.

Their main contention is that Latin American problems are not caused by outside influences as Latin Americans generally believe. Rather, they result mainly from actions of Latin Americans themselves.

Correcting Latin American problems, therefore, must come from Latin Americans.

Ask Thais about the causes of last week's shameful event - or of any problems in Thailand for that matter - and they will readily point the finger somewhere else, never at themselves.

[color:red]

Whilst I agree Thais may rate quite high "up the idiot ladder" in no way do they hold exclusive rights...lol

Ever been to Boston??? :neener::neener::stirthepo

I'm with Cent, although I think I know where Soongmak was trying to go with his post. The difference between Brits/Americans/Bankers etc and the majority of Thai people is that the culture of denial is so entrenched in Thailand that the original article is 'shocking'.

Would bankers be shocked if accused of dishonesty, for example ? Other than Middle America and close friends of GWB, would criticism of the US evoke a 'where the hell did this come from !' reaction ? I doubt it - Americans are often the most trenchant critics of their country, often in the hope of effecting change in things like American attitudes to the environment, and the same applies to most Western societies. Somewhere on the road from Greece/Rome to modern Europe, people began to speak openly about the things they thought needed to change in their country.

I have seen documentaries where educated Thais (mainly academics and journalists) list the flaws in their political system, but I cant recall seeing anything where they criticised the cultural norms that Thai society seems to be built on. I dont know anything about Buddhism, but to suggest that Thai people, *including* monks themselves, dont know a whole lot more : that must have been like a red flag to a great many Thai Buddhists. I made the point in an earlier posts that places like Erawan have absolutely nothing to do with Buddhism (afaik - happy to hear otherwise), yet Thai Buddhists respectfully make offerings to Hindu gods.

The section which I believe is common across many societies and religions is where he claims that the majority of Thais are only praying in the hope that it will bring something good to their lives : if that isnt the childhood view of Christianity that most of us were indoctrinated with, I dont know what is. Praying for world peace when there was the distinct possibility of a bike under the tree just seemed like a waste of valuable kneeling time to me.

Whatever its faults, its still safer than Melbourne ! :neener:

DS, my friend,

I've heard the Melbournites hold the exclusive rights. :content:

Of course I read the thing. But...

"Their main contention is that Latin American problems are not caused by outside influences as Latin Americans generally believe. Rather, they result mainly from actions of Latin Americans themselves."

Being that each country has individual problems, some more of one thing than another, the title may have been swiped from the Latin American article/book, but the problems are different to varying degrees (but saying that, yes, latin America is much closer to Thailand in these problems than most of the first world countries - there are similarities in their thinking). Its the attitude that is somewhat similar. Blaming others rather than themselves is a universal trait... to some degree. I'd say most westerners acknowledge their faults to a far higher degree than most Thais (or maybe even many Latinos). It's how we are taught to think, critical thinking. We learn what the Thais are not even taught. That's a big difference and it affects the Thais far more than it affects the west. It's the lack of a decent education that promotes and stimulates critical thinking.

So, do you feel your thinking is the same as a Thai's? Does your own education lack in critical thinking the same as most Thais? No, of course not. That is the point the author is bringing up. Are you a mai pen rai sort? No. With a heavy period, you are not. You care. You think. You strive to do a good job, you don't take the shortcuts if it will negatively affect your customers, clients, friends and family. And, I would say you know this is a huge problem with Thais and Thailand. Example: Your first stove and the subsequent problems getting it fixed or replacing it. Many other examples I could site just from being with you here in Surin the past year or so. Would these problems have been so prevalent in Aus, or England, or the US? Fuck no.

What percentage of Thais have you met that would admit their mistake/s? How many do you know that do a sloppy job and just do not fucking care. How many Thais do you run across that don't give a flying fuck what you think, or will admit their mistakes? As many as you would find in AUS where you lived? Again, probably not.

Thailand believes it is a first world sort of country, when in reality they are far far from it, and sliding backwards, not moving forwards. That is what the author is saying.

Do you think what happened here recently would/could happen in Perth? Or Melbourne? Or Sydney? I doubt it. Why is that so?

Are all Thais like this? No they aren't. But there is a huge percentage that are. There is a mindset here that is needing change, and soon, or, as the author says, there will be big problems in the Land of Smiles.

JMHO.

Cent

Archived