Not another Visa question?! Yes, it is.

Steve

Okay, I've read past posts going back a few months but didn't quite see this. I heard it was easier to get on a 'group tour' to the U.S. for a several days. But do not know if this is even worth exploring.

Does anyone know if this is any easier than the regular tourist visa to the states? I heard it was because it was easier for the company organising the group tour to obtain visas than an individual trying to obtain a tourist visa. Is this true?

CS,

I believe it may be a bit easier to get a visa through a tour outfit, mainly for the reason you stated, they handle the process. However, they may check certain criteria, such as, why is the group all 20 year old females etc...They may want to still check certain people who fit a risk profile...but in general, I have heard it is easier. Trouble is, they may only give a conditional visa for the duration of the tour only, as opposed to the 3 month visa. But I would think that would open doors to come back later, with less hassles!

Thanks Old Hippie. I'm not looking to pack 20 BGs on a group tour, just one. Also, I know these group tours only go for a week, 10 days or 2 weeks which is fine also.

I don't want her to come for 3 months. This particular girl speaks very good english but works in Pattaya. I'm having her check with a travel agency to find out what is needed and I'll try to do the same on this end. I'm attempting to locate a company or travel agency that does a lot of Thai group tours.

So far she said that they said she would need at least 50k baht in her bank account. I suspect and know that there is a lot more that would be required. Exactly what that is, is what I'm trying to find out. I am attempting to see if its even worth the hassle.

they want to see the money in the bank, regular deposits 3-6 months, evidence of employment and a compelling reason to return to Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

[color:blue]I'm not looking to pack 20 BGs on a group tour, just one.color=blue>

Not a bad idea, actually. Sign me up for one too, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before we could organize enough sanukers for our own "tour".

Even if a Thai goes on a group tour, he/she must make the application individually at the U.S. embassy. The tour group company won't process her application for her. The application will require the same information as anybody applying to go by themselves.

I thought about using the group tour method once but you are still back at square one.

"Trouble is, they may only give a conditional visa for the duration of the tour only, as opposed to the 3 month visa. "

A person can stay in the US for up to 6 months on a B2 visa. The allowed length of any particular stay is determined by the INS officer who puts the entry stamp in the passport on arrival, not by any notations the consulate may have put on the visa.

I can't read your mind, but I suspect that the 3 months you are referring to is the 'use by' period of the visa. The visa will have an issue date and an expiration date on it, and the expiration date will be 3 months after the issue date. This has nothing to do with the allowed length of the stay.

Regards, JEff

Archived