Outrageous US West Coast to BKK prices

Does anyone have any insights into the travel industry? Any idea why right now I'm seeing the highest prices for airfares from San Fran/LA to Bangkok *EVER*?!

I mean, we're talking close to $1,700 from SFO on EVA; over $1,600 from LA on Thai...cheapest is about $1,400 from SFO on China Air.

In May, I did SFO to BKK on EVA for barely $1,000.

Any inside info on when the "fire sale" will begin?!

Much thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frash, I've been out of the game a few years, so I've forgotten more about airline pricing than I know. :dunce:

I've never seen summer fares this high, either, but Shygye nailed it. The missus works at LAX and says all the transpac flights are chocka. Airline staff trying to get home on standby via Tokyo stranded for weeks on end (what were they thinking?).

Although fares to Thailand should be depressed because of recent events, bear in mind that everyone except Thai flies from here to BKK via another hub, and if they're filling seats to Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei or Hong Kong at higher yields, they're not likely to offer many cheap seats to Bangers.

Normally, demand eases in late July/early August but who knows. The industry is supposed to be on the rebound this year. :dunno:

Using miles to pay for a trip means that the seats, at least the mileage allocated seats, are not full. That would generally mean, the price should come down. At least in the real world. Maybe the Thai business mentality is rubbing off on the airlines flying into Thailand. :)

Even though I fly out of Kansas City, If I'm buying my ticket (as opposed to using FF miles on NWA), I usually buy a round trip ticket on SWA to LAX an then whatever is the cheapest airline (Eva or China air, usually). My wife wants to go back this fall and take out 2 & 1/2 year old son back to Chiang Mai, so I have been checking for the last 3 months. I haven't found anything less than $912 to BKK and $1,040 to CNX. I'm waiting to see if anything in the $700-800 price range develops to BKK. For a trip of 5-6 months, I may not see any fares in that range.

Archived