Outrageous US West Coast to BKK prices

Does anyone have any insights into the travel industry? Any idea why right now I'm seeing the highest prices for airfares from San Fran/LA to Bangkok *EVER*?!

I mean, we're talking close to $1,700 from SFO on EVA; over $1,600 from LA on Thai...cheapest is about $1,400 from SFO on China Air.

In May, I did SFO to BKK on EVA for barely $1,000.

Any inside info on when the "fire sale" will begin?!

Much thanks.

SFO/BKK - $625 to 1400, plus fee and tax, RT, Depending on Date and Airline.

http://www.thaifly.com/Home/Hilight/US/san-francisco-bangkok-air-ticket.php

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must be lower capacity. Occupancy rates in hotels are very low. I got bumped on a flight I already purchased out of Bangkok back to the US, but that is because the airline cancelled the Bangkok to Taipei leg on the day I was flying.

Last year this time I got a UA flight for 1400 bucks RT BKK-BOS-BKK. This year... same route same dates (and I am very flexible on dates) is 2700 bucks!!!!!!!! WTF? Nearly double in 12 months. Looks like I will wait to go back in Sept. Have a few people searching cheaper flights for July/Aug through their travel agencies. We'll see in the next week or so what I can find. Even China Air, usually the cheapest, is close to 2700 bucks. Insane. Coach class for nearly 3 Gs. Yeesh.

Yes, traditionally, the summer months are high season for travel to Thailand and elsewhere in Asia and as a result, you will see the highest airfares posted by all carriers.

I try to fly to Bangkok in the offseason, preferring to visit in November when the weather is more agreeable! cheaper fares and great weather, can't beat that combination!

Yes, traditionally, the summer months are high season for travel to Thailand and elsewhere in Asia and as a result, you will see the highest airfares posted by all carriers.

I try to fly to Bangkok in the offseason, preferring to visit in November when the weather is more agreeable! cheaper fares and great weather, can't beat that combination!

Jon,

Yes, I know this as well. I worked for NWA for 25 years. I know the industry and the fluctuations that occur seasonally. What shocked me though is the HUGE increase in less than 12 months over what I paid for the same flight and routing on UA less than a year ago. Last year = 1400 USD coach. This year = 2700 USD coach. That's quite a jump.

Why so much? Oil is not up that much I think. As a matter of fact it may be less now than a year ago. I'd have to check this. I don't know, but I haven't seen much on that lately or any recent news talking about a huge flux on oil prices affecting airline expenditures for fuel.

I know airfares go up in the summer. It happens every year. But this summer has seen the largest increase I have seen ever in my experience, except during an oil crisis. Has the problem with the well/oil spill in the gulf affected the price of oil that much?

I'm just wondering why so much of a jump this year. Gouging? Collusion among the airlines? They all seem to be very close in pricing globally. There is usually a larger gap between the US major Airlines and the Asian and cut rate airlines prices. This year they are extremely close in price. I'm wondering what gives.

Maybe the demand in seats after they cut many routes and flights/capacity is causing the increase?

Old Hippy? Any ideas?

Archived