Outrageous US West Coast to BKK prices

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More money is made in international freight that the people in the cabins. So to say they canceled wingtip flights to consolidate them doesn't hold water. Also, the plane had to be in a certain place to make the next trip. Without it, that would mean canceling that trip and any others till the plane was re-positioned. Crew also flys a plane when they get there. They need to be there too.

I can't dispute what you say above. However, last September, my EVA flight scheduled for 0130 was cancelled. (One which was booked about 12 weeks in advance.) I was rebooked for the EVA flight that departed at 0150. This was done about 2 or 3 weeks before my travel date. Plenty of time to make plane/crew adjustments. I'm quite sure that freight tonnage is down significantly in this economy also,

HH

The flights I have checked, BKK <> USA, have been darn near DOUBLE of what they were six months ago!

ALL flights I have been on over the past six months have been FULL!

I see it as the airlines just making a pile of profit :dunno:

That's what moved me to make the original post...yes, double!! It's unreal! And it's not just "summer pricing;" I flew on pretty much the exact same days (SFO to BKK around August 7, return August 23) last year for $800+ US RT, and now I'm looking at $1,400-1,700...

I live on the East Coast and have been flying to Asia for the past 15 years. Years ago, United and NWA used to have decent prices after labor day/ Since UAL filed bankruptcy a number of times, the airline hasn't offered any reasonable priced flights to BKK. NWA also hasn't offered good prices.

In 2009, fares may have come down due to the recession and lower oil prices. Airlines have reduced flights and started to increase their fares. I am afraid that what you see is the trend to have higher fares regardless of oil prices.

I believe the sub $1,000 round-trip fare (from east coast to Bangkok) to be history. Last year, I managed to purchase a rt ticket for under $800 from the east coast to Thailand for travel in Nov.

I noticed more airlines are cutting or eliminating altogether their long-haul flights.

I have given up on United and NWA (now Delta) on providing low cost fares to Bangkok.

I've occasionally bid on skyauction for flights to BKK (usually involving NWA an usually restricte my biding to $800 max (incluing taxes and fees). By the time I added the $170 to the amount for flying from the midwest, I could still buy a r/t ticket for under $1,000. I've notice that the minimum you can bid (plus taxes and fees) brings the price to over $1,000, flying LAX to BKK. Since I can buy a ticket on China Air for over $150 less (and not have to deal with the restrictions that skyauction places on their airline tickets), why use skyauction? I also think my days of using NWA/Delta are over, as they are pricing their tickets in the $1,700 from the west coast to BKK.

For reasons I won't go into here, I normally fly American Airlines.

I just checked round trip airfares between here and BKK, for a trip sometime in the next couple of months. The outbound leg prices are still reasonable. The return leg prices are OUTRAGEOUS, and that is independent of routing.

I don't know what is going on. Possibly someone thinks that fuel prices are going to skyrocket in the near future.

Archived