RIP George Steinbrenner

shygye

Link

George Steinbrenner, whose big wallet and win-at-all-cost attitude whipped the New York Yankees into a billion-dollar sports empire, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

"George was 'The Boss,' make no mistake," Hall of Famer Yogi Berra said. "He built the Yankees into champions, and that's something nobody can ever deny. He was a very generous, caring, passionate man. George and I had our differences, but who didn't? We became great friends over the last decade and I will miss him very much." ...

On sports talk radio shows today and during the All Star game, they are already mentioning him as a shoo in to the Baseball Hall of Fame. I think that would make him the only convicted felon to be elected to the Hall of Fame. He had two bans from baseball, the second being a "lifetime" ban. He was certainly good for Yankee baseball and for driving up player salaries. I think its debatable on how good he was for baseball. He certainly ushered in the activist type of owner, like Daniel Synder, Jerry Jones Mark Cuban. They all think that they know more than the people that run their organizations and have no reservations in changing G.M.'s and managers if they can't supply instant results. Steinbrenner the personality will be missed and it will be interesting to see if his sons can carry on the winning tradition once the core group of current Yankees, led by Jeter, retire.

Archived