Thai Customs-Do I have to declare....?

I am travelling to BKK for the first time in May. I am bringing a diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend to ask her to marry me. Do I have to declare it when I go through Thai Customs in Bangkok? If so, what is the tariff if any.

If you're american:

get a receipt or something to indicate you have purchased it in the USA (if so).

If things don't work out for you, you'll be able to bring it in without duty being assessed if they happen to do the search.

If you've already bought the ring it's too late, you should have bought one in Thailand, your GF will prefer the gold and the prices are far better, so long as you go to a legit jewellers that is.

True.. All non-residents are required to declare items if the total value is in excess of B20,000. Plus the ring is really not going to leave with you. Therefore it is (technically) a gift to be left in Thailand, and by extension, subject to appropriate duty, taxes and VAT in accordance with prescribed tariffs.

That said, in practice... The probability of being stopped, searched and the ring being found are slim to nil.. However, if it does happen you have a bit a fancy footwork to do before getting out or simpy fess up and pay the taxes imposed.

All things considered, Thai customs are, IMHO, a fairly well-run organization.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The Customs Form does indeed say B10,000 but a centrally placed sign in the Customs Offices says B20,000... Perhaps the form is current and the sign is not.. how knows. The point I run with is that whatever the number is.. it's only goods that are NOT going to be left in Thailand.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Archived