Thai Customs-Do I have to declare....?

There was a thread long ago where I asked if anyone had ever been searched coming into Thailand. No one had. Keep it in your pocket and go on through.

Actually I see one or two people getting searched every time I come through customs. It is just never a well-dressed white middle-aged sort of person. I sometimes (not often) feel for the middle-eastern/Indian extraction men traveling today. They are getting a real hard time.

TH

I was searched one time, but it was only half-hearted. We flew in from Indonesia, and they looked in one bag, and that was all. I know a British guy who says he was searched after a flight from London, and he was also with his Thai wife. That might be the key, being with a Thai girl; I've never been stopped when traveling alone.

i have flown in probably 20 times in last two years with my Thai wife, and probably twice that by myself, never been searched. Of course, now that I have said that, next trip (next week) I will probably get stopped and questioned on the cartons of hard pack Marlboros I bring in every time.

TH

The chances of Thai customs causing you grief over one diamond ring in your pocket is WAY, WAY less than the chance of being pickpocketed, or getting in an auto accident enroute from airport to central BKK, or some other show stopper. All of these are remote possibilities off some probability and statistics chart.

I've been in and out of Don Muang airport more than 60 times in the past 30 months, and I've never been searched. Usually dressed for business, but often casual. Only twice accompanied by a Thai gf.

Clearing immigration/customs a total of maybe 250 times in 32 countries, I've only been searched one time to the level that would find a ring. That was a Tokyo Narita, arriving in full business attire from BKK with winter-type luggage. I was pulled out of customs line, taken to a cubicle, and given the most detailed search of my life. Had to empty my pockets - they even went through everything in my wallet. Checked every piece of clothing in my bags, opened everything in my toilet kit. Two guys, for 45 minutes. No search of anal cavity, thankfully! To this day, I am absolutely clueless as to what that was all about. What profile I triggered, I will never know.

Forget about customs pestering you over a ring. Unless they have a gemologist handy, they can't easily tell a good diamond from a piece of junk. I just can't imagine them even noticing it.

Have a good trip.

Stone Soup

'Clearing immigration/customs a total of maybe 250 times in 32 countries, I've only been searched one time to the level that would find a ring. That was a Tokyo Narita, arriving in full business attire from BKK with winter-type luggage. I was pulled out of customs line, taken to a cubicle, and given the most detailed search of my life. Had to empty my pockets - they even went through everything in my wallet. Checked every piece of clothing in my bags, opened everything in my toilet kit. Two guys, for 45 minutes. No search of anal cavity, thankfully! To this day, I am absolutely clueless as to what that was all about. What profile I triggered, I will never know. '

StoneSoup

Japan customs is famous for such actions. Maybe coming from Thailand and having winter-type luggage caused their attention. Even as a resident of Japan whenever I come back from Thailand I am asked to open my suitcase. Coming back from other parts of Asia or Europe/North America does not create any problem.

Japan customs also is at least to my knowledge the only custom inspection worldwide where each entrant is stopped and asked stupid questions, regardless whether you go through the red or green channel. The green channes seems to be decoration only.

jp1

• 3 months later...

When I flew ANA from DC to Narita, last January they pulled all the caucasians aside and frisked us. Light complexion, dark, Male, or Female it didn't matter. One in front and one in back of me, and they went all over me....around my groin and made me take my shoes off. A Japanese duo: men patting down men and the women on the women. I asked if I could get patted down by one of the women and the dude got rage in his eyes. I apologized in Japanese and bowed down really quick, remembering how when we got in a scrap with the (I'm ex-navy) Marines in Okinawa in the 70's two little skinny Japanese Police dudes came in with batons and kicked the living shit out of 30 jarheads and 20 navy pilots and seabees. We couldn't get near these guys. It was unbelievable!

Getting on the plane (UA or TG) from NRT -LAAX or SFO, I see them frisking everyone. Also at BKK, you stand on a pedistal, and get the metal detector. I believe the more strigent security is required for flights entering the USA. Did you have to remove all carry on items when you got off in Japan? we did coming to the US, but not going to LOS.

I flew from HK to Japan rt twice a month for 18 months and every single time I was stopped at customs and had to open my suitcase...everytime I travelled I was in full business attire, laptop to boot....

The only other problem I have had anywhere is Adelaide Australia.....They were absolute shockers....

Picture this, I am an Australian citizen bringing my Thai fiancee to Adelaide and Melbourne to see the family and immigration had no problems. We get too customs and they start asking detailed questions and perform a full search of the suitcase....They did not believed I worked and asked for business cards as evidence and they did find some coasters that were made of wood and steel....They said we should have declared and could have been liable for a hundred dollar fine and at the point I was going to pull out a hundred throw it on the counter and say that was less than a round of drinks at the Fong in HK....Can we go now? Anyway, mouth stayed zipped and quietly walked out thinking WTF!!!!!

Don Muang shouldn't be a problem. I have probably been through 30 times in the last 3 years and never had a problem.

Sanukboot.

Your right about the Facists in Aust customs, a right bunch of weenies.

Re Thai customs, I "import' goods personally from overseas on na regular basis. Never had a problem until the last trip from HK, somehow the knew that one case had a substantial quanity of goods in it. So the stopped me and asked what was in the case as I heard them discussing it in Thai I said you know whata in there. They said duty is payable, do you want a Receipt? I repled no. So the guy said just put some money in your carry bag, so a tossed in 2000 baht which he grabbed and waved me on.

Thats the first time I have been stopped in 13 years.

Archived