Need a cheap family hotel

gladius69

Friends,

I know Bkk like I know that back (and palms) of my hand. However, this will be my first time with wife and toddler in tow. No more Manhatten, Suk Crown, Ruamchitt, etc..

I am looking for a place under $20 that is clean, near a BTS station, near food, and with CTV.

I know about Nice Palace and Suda Palace in Saphan Kwai and also the Swasdee Inns.

Thanks

BW

$20 USD? Not sure...I mean Thai house INN is $20, and well...not really a family spot...I have seen a lot of families staying at the Federal on Soi 11, way down near Bed Supper club, nice pool, short walk to the BTS...but that is maybe $30++.

under $20 USD?!?! family friendly?!?!

so basically, you're saying you haven't been to Thailand in about 20 years now...???

but seriously...if you're going to be there for more than 2 weeks, rent an apartment...plenty around Soi Rangnam, probably cheaper than usual since the area turned into a battlefield three months ago (don't worry, it's not anymore)...12-13K a month should be no problem to find...

Pards,

Thanks for all the info.

Good ole days!

I used to stay at City Lodge Soi 9 for 800 and Hotel Manhattan for 950. Those days are gone I think.

The best deal was when my wife (not yet married at the time) had me shack up with her at the Police flats in Ari. I think I was the only farang there. Military-style dorms but free and 5" from BTS and great food.

My wife found these two places

http://www.asiawebdirect.com/thailand/bangkok/chatuchak/nice-palace-hotel/

450baht

http://www.hotels2thailand.com/bangkok-hotels/Suda-Palace-Hotel.asp

We will give one of them a shot. We both know this hood well. I would go up to $30, but my experience is that the $20-30 places are not much nicer than the 10-20 ones.

BW

Here is a place on Sukhumvit Soi 4 that is 600 baht. Room has cable tv, hot water, air, private toilet. It is up from the Nana but before the Ibis. It is the "Happy Inn" (same side of road as Nana.)

Inside looks better than outside. If you are familiar with this area it is right where the connector road between Soi 4 and Soi 6 starts.

No website for this hotel. Have tel. # and email address if you want it. You can hold a room with an email and without a credit card. Worth a look when you get to Bangkok. Hotel has internet shop in lobby and elevator. Some rooms better than others (like many old hotels.) I have seen couples with a kid but I don't know if they charge any extra money for a place for a kid to sleep at. These rooms are much bigger than the 600 baht rooms you get at the Business Inn (Sukumvit Soi 11/1 near Swiss Park.)

Several hotels of the Orchid Group Hotel chain (small hotels) are in this area. One is near this Happy Inn - the Orchid Inn.

http://www.staywithorchid.com/

Hotels with this Orchid Group chain start around 650-750 baht. I have used the Happy Inn several times and only passed by the Orchid Inn places. I have used the Business Inn 600 baht room (with air, etc.) but it was a tiny no-window room only good for a late arrival or early departure.

With the Happy Inn at your back, if you walk from Soi 4 to Soi 6 (where the church is at and you can see Sukhumvit Crown Hotel) you can easily go down Soi 6 for the Skytrain.

Good luck.

"Do you do 16th Century fighting. I have a nice halberd collection and know how to use them too."

I have used this name for 6 or 7 years and you are the first one to recognize what a HALBERD is!

I had a lot of time in the military but no training with halberds.

Good luck.

Archived