Thailand's Inflation Rate

cavanami

WTF...every time I go to the Tesco Lotus, the prices have been raised!!!

My bottle of red table wine has jumped up 11%, tissues up 10%, etc.

They just opened an office to sell condos on Suk Soi 93 and the selling price is up 50%, same builder that built some on Soi 85!

Price of the ones at Soi 85 was 650,000 Baht now these on Soi 93 are at 999,000 Baht! They have to be kidding :dunno: and all the good units (upper floors) are SOLD OUT!!! and this is the first day the office as been opened!

A quick check showed that the inflation was listed at 3.4% in July. Every month this year it has been running 3 ~ 4%...at that rate, next year will be tough

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a buyer, I can comment on tissue paper. Pulp prices have increased by 12% globally over the last year so this falls in line with the 10% quoted.

Yes the dollar does have a lot to do with it as most commodites are still bought in dollars (and to a lesser extent euros)

When talking about inflation, the economists are talking about a broad range of products, some actually deflate, others can inflate a lot higher!

I used to buy chicken from Thailand and trust me there is going to be some severe price increases over the next 12 months partly due to the Thai baht being so high but also because their is a fixed amount of quota available for the EU. There are a lot of unscrupulous companies who buy the quotas up and sell them on knowing full well they will never used them.

I can well understand pulp going up 10% but the new increase on tissue at Lotus is already on top of a previous 10% increase, so there is a blotted 20% total increase. :dunno:

It is just getting expensive to live in LOS...I will get sticker shock the next time I return to the USA, I'm sure!!!

I think that there are a lot of products that are no longer viable to be made in Thailand any longer, due to the strength of the baht.Its probaly worth a fresh post.I recently bought some crab sticks that were always previously made in Thailand.Now made in Poland.Thailands main export rice is down 30% which has alot Vietnam decision to devalue the Dong 15%.When we speak about the strong baht because exports are strong i wonder which ones.

A friend ho works in some investment firm in BKK and he has been saying that money continues to pour into LOS thus keeping the Baht strong. He figures that the USD will go down to 30 vs the Baht by the end of this year.

So far, he has been correct over the past few years!

Some items are just silly money here in LOS; wine, cheese, western style meats and sausages, to name a few.

Maybe it balances out somewhat with the taxi and bus being quite cheap. Inexpensive apartments can be found but medical care has doubled in the past few years, making it cheaper then the west but then again, we are not in the west!

I can well understand pulp going up 10% but the new increase on tissue at Lotus is already on top of a previous 10% increase, so there is a blotted 20% total increase. :dunno:

It is just getting expensive to live in LOS...I will get sticker shock the next time I return to the USA, I'm sure!!!

Assuming the product is made in Thailand then it sounds like profiteering to me.

Some items are just silly money here in LOS; wine, cheese, western style meats and sausages, to name a few.

Maybe it balances out somewhat with the taxi and bus being quite cheap. Inexpensive apartments can be found but medical care has doubled in the past few years, making it cheaper then the west but then again, we are not in the west!

Cav, I agree Bangkok getting expensive now, especially for tourists. My wife now buys cloths in the UK before she goes to Thailand rather than the other way round as they are now cheaper here. Eating out seems a lot more expensive than it was and drink prices have got silly in many bars imho. But as you say things like rent, transport and basic food shopping for local produce still cheaper than the west.

Simie.

Archived