HSBC, and/or opening an account at a Thai Bank

dave32

Alright, thanks all, this is food for thought. I see I have a little homework to do. Right now have two accounts, one in a credit union, the other etrade. Ultimately I want to set up an account with X amount that I'll have easy access to for a year in LOS - it won't be 90k. It sounds like setting up in a local BKK branch or the suggestion of opening an HSBC account both here and in BKK could be the best way.

Anyway, starting homework.

Muchos Gracias.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, thanks all, this is food for thought. I see I have a little homework to do. Right now have two accounts, one in a credit union, the other etrade. Ultimately I want to set up an account with X amount that I'll have easy access to for a year in LOS - it won't be 90k. It sounds like setting up in a local BKK branch or the suggestion of opening an HSBC account both here and in BKK could be the best way.

Anyway, starting homework.

Muchos Gracias.

US based HSBC Premier requires $100K.

Mentioned earlier, look into a Schwab account, no tranaction fees and they pay ATM fee (?4 transactions a month?). Only a small balance required.

I think you are over-analyzing here. Just use your ATM card and your CU account. What's the big deal -- this ain't 20 years ago. I do 95% of my day-to-day banking in the States. My particular bank gives me no fee ATM usage & a great forex rate (better than the best money changer on the street). My daily withdrawal limit is set at $800, so that's plenty.

Probably over analyzing. Some things I want to error on the side of caution.

Realize that on my last trip --> driver's license and phone was stolen, so I worry about being in a predicament if ATM card goes missing, would that kind of problem be easier to resolve and get replaced at a local branch? At least I could just walk in and withdraw cash quickly in emergency (I'm assuming).

Was also surprised to look at my bank statement after trip in April/May and realize I'd racked up almost $100 USD in ATM fees combing both the Thai and stateside charges for usage. Sick.

If Charles Schwab refunds the transaction fees from the Thai ATMs, that's an appealing route to go.

And like I was saying, just plain old curious about setting up a small local account in BKK for back up (and learning experience).

You could just take out the max every time (in my case B25k) to keep the fees down. Then deposit it into a local account, or toss it in the safe. And that way you're not carrying your ATM card all the time.

And if you work with your CU (ask if they'll waive the fees) and use Citi ATM's (no B150 fee there), the fees go away. Voila.

Opening a local account with a Thai bank is dead easy, but some branches are more farang friendly than others. I recommend Kasikorn Bank at soi 33 & Sukhumvit.

As far as losing the card...well, don't do that, ya wombat! :nono:

And if you work with your CU (ask if they'll waive the fees) and use Citi ATM's (no B150 fee there), the fees go away. Voila.

Opening a local account with a Thai bank is dead easy, but some branches are more farang friendly than others. I recommend Kasikorn Bank at soi 33 & Sukhumvit.

As far as losing the card...well, don't do that, ya wombat! :nono:

Thanks LK. :up:

CU won't waive fees. It was a hassle for me to even use their ATM in BKK (April) and I had to go through several reps on phone and explain that it was indeed me, in Thailand. Baaah!

Anyway, will figure it out. Thx for input. Oh yeah, one more question -- where do you find the Citi ATMs? Any prime locations known off the top of your head? Did a quick google for locations but got lost in a morass of stuff I wasn't looking for.

Archived