sex laws in Thailand

tomyamtalae

Thailand has a choice to make regarding transsexuals. Transsexuals in Thailand can be employable, educated people willing to pay taxes and vote as any responsible citizen would. Some are also the reason that money continues to flow into Thailand’s tourism industry by making the country more attractive for medical tourism, LGBT tourism, and unfortunately, sex tourism too. Transsexuals and Thai law are at odds. The restrictive Thai laws regarding transsexuals do not reflect this group’s contributions to society as Thai citizens or the ease with which they co-exist in Thai society. Furthermore, if Buddhism is the reason that transsexuals are underrepresented in Thai law, then why hasn’t the religion affected the medical tourism industry that makes Thailand the world’s leading destination for gender change operations? There are a lot of questions to be asked regarding this topic. Does religion weigh more than politics in any country’s laws restricting members of the LGBT community? Is this one subject where religion and politics can’t be separated? I hope to have answers to these questions one day…not just about Thailand but about all countries faced with this issue.

Your social arguments are exactly what I feel. You are who you are and all that.

But Thailand, despite it's perception, is a very conservative place. To get a ruling to make a transgender (aka post-op k-toy) into a person whose gender they want to be will be many more years I'm afraid -- it has certainly been tried in recent years by money and influence and failed.

Only IMHO. But precedence supports me.

Archived