My dream job

Steve

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/rent-a-white-guy/8119/

This job perfectly fits my skill set and ambition. Basically chinese companies rent a westerner who do nothing but make it seem like some they have some american representative.

The article is titled 'Rent a white guy' but I hope I could get a similar job myself. Maybe the 'Obama' factor would get me in the door? :content:

Ah, the pay is great, but I'd hate to be stuck in an office all day, as a pseudo figure head, with nothing to do!

I'd rather promote and create the latest Thai scam, that being a supposedly newly found ancient amulet or trinket...which brings wearers health, happiness, financial freedom, and of course makes one impervious to bullets.

Due to the trinkets claimed rarity, though I'd have thousands made, they would be sold at outrageous prices and only by appointment. I'd hate to be stuck in an office all day... :D

Doesn't look like steady income. But if you are just hanging around in China - why not.

"How to get acting jobs in China:

1. Be attractive.

2. For men: pack a suit & tie

3. Live in Beijing, cheap apt. in Haidian district is best.

4. Hang out at Beijing Language & Culture University. Thats where I was "discovered"

5. Or try this: in the early mornings (7am) hang out at the front gate of the Beijing Film Academy where TV & film crews are meeting before driving off to work. Approach other foreigners and try to meet their agents. Its the agents who will get you the work. And they will make most of the money.

I was working 3-5 days a month, making $100/day doing advertisements and the occasional scam gig as described here. You're not going to get week-long $1k jobs very often.

BTW, for those of you raising moral issues - unless you're fluent in Chinese you often won't know what the job will be until you get there."

Have a guy here in Surin who has a friend with a company in the ME. Sometimes the Surin guy gets paid like 10G USD, and doesn't even have to go to work in the ME, he just stays ready to go at a moment's notice. Says he has made a few 10G months and did absolutely nothing but stay home in Thailand, drink Chang, and smoke herb.

That there is my dream job! :up:

BTW, the/his 'boss' is here now. I can attest to his having money. He spends it like water. Nice guy actually. Maybe he can hire me for a few months? 6 months at 10G a month and I would have a nice pile of 'play' money to offset the baht/dollar exchange ... for a while at least. :content:

Downside is you might actually have to go to work in the ME. :shifty:

Maybe he can hire me for a few months? 6 months at 10G a month and I would have a nice pile of 'play' money to offset the baht/dollar exchange ... for a while at least. :content:

Sorry, a little OT, but question - how long would you push 60k in LOS?

Let me frame this a different way. If you were coming there for a year, and wanted to live well with a good social life and lots of travel in-country and not just merely survive - but OTOH, also not spend like a maniac without a care - how much would you budget? Would 40K [usd] be adequate? 50?

Less, more? Serious question, what do you think?

Ps. Sorry Steve for being way OT. Should start a diff thread. I will in 6 months. :)

Archived