Songkran - The death toll

khunsanuk

It's strange. I had to go to Bumrungrad A&E on Saturday evening (cut me head in a non-serious, non-Songkran related incident). I expected to see thousands of RTA victims but it was deserted. The doctors are nurses were bored.

Saying that, most casualties seem to be in Khorat and elsewhere upcountry. Oh, and the fact it cost me 4000 baht to get me head stitched up - BH is probably a bit on the pricey side.

Sad to hear about all the deaths though :-(

It seems most expats just do that, I went out tonite figuring the mayhem had tailed off, SC seemed virtually deserted along with WS.

I went to the circuit at Bira on Sunday, left home at 6 AM to dodge the loonies with the water guns and saw 3 fairly major and very recent accidents just on Bangna trad, including a young man Looking very drunk and pissed off because he had obviously just piled Daddy's recent model Merc into the back of a container truck.

Drove home from village yesterday afternoon. Glad we left on Monday and didn't wait until today. Traffic was very light coming into Bangkok. Didn't see any accidents. Did see any number of wild motorcycles drivers with death wishes in towns along the way.

Something like 80% of the accidents are drunken 18-30 year old males driving 110cc motorcycles. Because of this, I disagree with DB on who is hurt. Of course, taking into account that most of these guys leave wives and babies, maybe he is correct that the drunk doesn?t suffer. After all he is dead and his wife is left to fend for herself.

Archived