Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-drops-bean-surcharge-195519437.html

The Seattle coffee company eliminated the fee at its stores nationwide this month after a Massachusetts consumer-protection agency fined the company over the practice.

The Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation found in August that the coffee chain failed to notify customers either in the store or on their receipts that it was adding a surcharge of about $1.50 for buying a partial bag of beans.

Starbucks allows customers to buy a less than the traditional one-pound bag of beans. But doing so requires an employee to break open a pre-sealed bag to sell customers a portion size of their choosing. Starbucks would then charge the customer for the portion of beans, plus a roughly $1.50 fee to cover the extra labor and packaging

That meant beans listed at $11.95 per pound ended up costing $7.45 for a half-pound — not $5.98, or half the price.

Under Massachusetts law, retailers are required to post signs in the store notifying customers of surcharges, or employees must tell them.

I've always thought if I were to run a company I'd like it to be as honest as possible. Maybe pie in the sky thinking and economic realities would make me do things differently but I'd like to think that I would. I'm a firm believer in reputation and it just seems good business to have a solid reputatin for fairness, etc.

Neighborhood stores in my area as a kid were like that. Everyone knew each other and there was an honor code. My mom would send me down to the corner market for meat or whatever with a message to put it on her 'account'. You squared up with him after payday. The grocer knew we all struggled and waited for payday and for some folks, their welfare checks. No one didn't pay, your good name meant everything to you. Those days are long gone now.

Surprised none of us posted the Penn State child sex story or maybe it was and I didn't see it.

Sad...so sad. Heard a sick joke about it though, okay bad taste and I know I will be skewered but '...an older woman who chases young men is called a cougar, an older man who chases young boys is called a Nittany Lion'

The assistant coach who caught him should have done more. I know Paterno and all who are involved have history with the alleged perpetrator but c'mon. Maybe its tough to say what I would if I had known the Sandusky for such a long time and worked together for so long but I'm sure I'd have confronted him personally and tell him a) what the fck you doing B) and this out of friendship, get a lawyer right now, this has to go to the cops. and c) get help now and I'd have had some places in mind.

I'm sure there were abused kids where I lived. Some things as a kid you just kinda knew. There was a very close friend of the family that we called our uncle but wasn't a blood uncle who grew up with my uncles who us kids just automatically knew you didn't find yourself alone with. He looked at you 'funny'. There are many such cases where people suspect or have a pretty good idea but all adults do is make sure he's never alone with kids. which isn't always effective.

One wee bit of a thread of hope the USA may survive afterall.

http://news.yahoo.com/patriotic-millionaires-beg-supercommittee-higher-taxes-185620525.html

'Patriotic Millionaires' Beg Supercommittee for Higher Taxes

Two dozen wealthy members of the group Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength are targeting members of the deficit "supercommittee" to increase their taxes.