Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

With five months until Election Day, Barack Obama faces a grim new reality: Republicans now believe Mitt Romney can win, and Democrats believe Obama can lose ...

Last week's anemic job-creation and economic-growth data was sandwiched between two Bill Clinton specials: in one television interview, the 42nd President lauded Romney's business record as "sterling"; in another, he veered from the Obama line on the extension of Bush-era tax cuts ...

The failure to unseat Wisconsin's Republican governor Scott Walker in a recall election was another bad sign for Democrats since it will rev up conservatives nationwide, including the kind of millionaires who gave big bucks to Walker's effort ... Veteran Democratic strategists from previous presidential bids and on Capitol Hill now wonder if the Obama re-election crew is working with the right message ...

The White House remains on a rough political trajectory, with a potentially adverse Supreme Court decision on the Obama health care law looming, additional bad economic news from Europe coming and more worrisome polling pending ...

Another danger for the President: the media freak show. Stalking that circus' center ring is Matt Drudge, whose caustic website continues to help drive the news cycle with an emphasis on negative, mocking items about Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and their wives.

The latest sign of Drudge's potency: Ed Klein, the author of the virulently anti-Obama book The Amateur, was barred from major TV appearances and mostly ignored by the mainstream media, but the book's prominence on Drudge's website propelled it to the No. 1 slot on the New York Times nonfiction list.

Time

So much ground to make up. I don't think so. Its closer yes and possibly will get closer as the campaign season heats up but I just see too much ground for Romney to make up. So far Obama has the lions share of the 10 swing states. That will have to change significantly and Romney needs to sweep a lot of them.

Its a gargantuan ask and without any special circumstances (the economy collapses, Obama really was born in Kenya, etc.) I can't see it happening.

Throw in Obama's huge war chest. He can outspend Romney in the battleground states.

I'm voting for Johnson so I'm trying to write as objectively as I can.

Romney, Republicans raise $76.8 million in May

(Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and Republican groups raised more than $76.8 million in May, his campaign said on Thursday, topping the $60 million President Barack Obama and his Democratic allies hauled in.

The campaign and Republican National Committee have $107 million cash on hand, the campaign said.

My link

Romney, Republicans raise $76.8 million in May

(Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and Republican groups raised more than $76.8 million in May, his campaign said on Thursday, topping the $60 million President Barack Obama and his Democratic allies hauled in.

The campaign and Republican National Committee have $107 million cash on hand, the campaign said.

My link

In Wisconsin the GOP outspend the DEMs 8 to 1!

Since the Citizen United ruling the rules of the game have changed completely. The Dem's grassroots fundraising machine has no chance against the GOP billionaires. A very small group of GOP big money donors can easily outspend 10 Mio grassroots Dem donors.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance

Barack Obama

$196,900,097

Mitt Romney

$87,452,399

dated back to April but not too long ago:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/20/nation/la-na-campaign-money-20120421

President Obama ends March with $104 million on hand, 10 times the amount Mitt Romney has — a gap that shows how the hard-fought Republican primary drained resources.

That is a major advantage to incumbents - not having to face primaries.

Meanwhile, guess who is still the same. :beer:

Don Rickles Shocks Hollywood Crowd With Obama Joke

Don Rickles nearly hijacked the American Film Institute’s tribute to Shirley MacLaine on Thursday night at Sony Pictures Studios, unleashing a trademark barrage of insults that took aim at President Obama, Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson and the honoree herself.

“I shouldn’t make fun of the blacks,†Rickles said, and then proceeded to do just that: “President Obama is a personal friend of mine. He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.â€

The black-tie crowd, gathered to celebrate MacLaine, the 40th recipient of the AFI’s Life Achievement Award, alternately gasped at the 86-year-old comic’s put-downs and then found themselves laughing and applauding.

“Shirley,†Rickles, living up to his moniker as Mr. Warmth, began as he rose to his feet from a table near the center of the room. “I never read your books, and I don’t plan to.â€

Turning to MacLaine’s brother Beatty, he continued, “I know your brother very well, and I never liked him.â€

Shifting his focus to Nicholson, who also was present, Rickles cracked, “He’s not here tonight – he’s with the Lakers, oiling their jocks.â€

Taking aim at Jennifer Aniston, one of the actresses who shared the main table with MacLaine, Rickles claimed she “took my table at the Tower Restaurant one night because she was in heat with some guy.â€

Surveying the celebrity-packed room, Rickles wondered where all the stars were, saying, “If Sidney Poitier hadn’t shown up, they’d be nobody.â€

Spotting Dennis Haysbert, on whose series The Unit Rickles had appeared, he shouted, “Oh, there’s the black guy from The Unit,†adding, “now he works for Allstate.â€

Before he sat down, though, Rickles mellowed. Recalling how he and MacLaine’s friendship dates back to the days of the old Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas, where she hung out with the Rat Pack, Rickles finally testified: “You have a charm and a warmth and class. I’ve known a lot of people in showbiz, but I’m so proud that you asked me to be here tonight.â€

My link

I love Don Rickles. One of the few guys who can joke about any person or any group and its not taken personally. His on stage persona was competely different than his off stage. I've heard he was a very warm, endearing and giving guy. He made a lot of black jokes but was a supporter of civil rights and for years had a black assistant/attendant, a close friend who he basically gave a job so he could travel with him and such.

I recall at Comic Aid with Whoopie Goldberg, Robin Williams and Billy Crystal. He looks over at them and says "two Jews and a black woman, and she's the only one with a jew name"...lol.

My parents used to love to see him on the old Dean Martin roast special. I've seen a few of them replayed. He (and others) were great.

• Like 1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47745646/ns/politics-the_new_york_times/

Drug industry pushed Obama on health overhaul, e-mails suggest

Mr. Obama’s staff signaled a willingness to put aside support for the reimportation of prescription medicines at lower prices and by doing so solidified a compact with an industry the president had vilified on the campaign trail. Central to Mr. Obama’s drive to remake the nation’s health care system was an unlikely collaboration with the pharmaceutical industry that forced unappealing trade-offs.

Other political news of note Obama: 'It is absolutely clear that the economy is not doing fine'

Under fire from Republicans, President Obama clarified an earlier assessment of the health of the private sector, explaining that it's "absolutely clear" the economy is not doing "fine."

..The e-mail exchange three years ago was among a cache of messages obtained from the industry and released in recent weeks by House Republicans — including a new batch put out Friday detailing the industry’s advertising campaign supporting Mr. Obama’s health care overhaul. The broad contours of his dealings with the industry were known in 2009, but the newly public e-mails open a window into the compromises underlying a health care law now awaiting the judgment of the Supreme Court.

Mr. Obama’s deal-making in 2009 represented a pivotal moment in his young presidency, a juncture where the heady idealism of the campaign trail collided with the messy reality of Washington policy making. A president who had promised to negotiate on C-Span cut a closed-door deal with a powerful lobby, signifying to disillusioned liberal supporters a loss of innocence, or perhaps even the triumph of cynicism.

Thing like this piss me off. Obama should be criticized for making deals with the drug industry. He talked a good talk about transparency, etc. and I've been very disappointed in a great many things he's done.

However...and you know there wil be a however...lol...what have the Republicans offered as an alternative. The way I see this is that the Republicans are criticizing Obama for giving in to the drug industry but they can't argue that they wouldn't have. In fact, they would have already given the drug industry what they wanted and probably more.

Its why I'm going with Johnson. He's shown as governor he's got some backbone and won't give in to special interests.

I would also love to see the American people demand changes to the debates. I would love to see where the top 3, not the two main parties but whomever polls top 3 automatically are involved in the debates as well as any candidate who can poll 10% or higher. It won't be many so need worry about 10 people on the dais. We desperately need alternate voices on the dais to tell everyone the truth and identify the BS being banded about. I'd love to have Ron Paul involved for nothing else but to say what both candidates are about.

• Like 1