Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I just came back from a gun show.

The Republicans were saying how great the Mormons are because

they are family oriented and take care of their own.

I told them if they belonged to a group that took 10%

of your gross you would expect the same.

Does that mean Witless Romney pays more $$ in his Mormon tithe than he does in Income Tax?

:beer:

I don't know one person who doesn't pay taxes

and some of the poorest pay a higher percentage in taxes

then Willard does!

The guy who lives under the bridge

comes out and buys sodas, cigarettes and booze.........

His tax rate on these items is higher then what Romney pays

in taxes. Figure it out.

I bet you know a stack of people that do not pay INCOME tax.

Catholics expect the same.

Why do you hate Mormons?

:applause:

I have both among my relatives. (Thank God I was raised neither one!)

I am starting to see concern that Romney may win the popular vote but Obama keep his job by the electoral college. Once again the top vote getter may lose. Time to make the Electoral College proportional by Congressional district! :p

whats wrong with 1 man, 1 vote. The founders governed a largely illiterate and landless populace and the electoral college was invented for that. Witgg a 98% literate populace its outdated.

We could standarize voting and move election day to both Saturday and Sunday.

Guest lazyphil

Catholics expect the same.

Why do you hate Mormons?

mormons believe blacks are children of the devil.....not a reason to hate them but laugh at them. oh and the special underpants they wear are kind of humerous!

The smaller states will never let the electoral college die. It would mean they'd be completely ignored by presidential campaigns and would have no bargaining power at all.

The electoral college was created at a time when there were no political parties. The idea was the ordinary folks (then mostly farmers) would vote to choose people they trusted to meet to select a new president and vice president. That was a fun time when the top vote getter became the prez and the #2 the veep. Thus we'd end up with either an Obama-Romney or Romney-Obama administration. :)

The only way the electoral college is going to be changed is assigning it by popular vote. Since California has 2 senators and 53 congressmen, that would mean the 2 senate votes went to the top vote getter, then the votes were assigned by congressional district. Say Obama carries 30 districts. He would get 2 + 32 = 34 electoral votes. Romney would get 21 for the districts he had carried. As it is now, Obama is going to get all 55 electoral votes.

And that is why neither party really wants to change the system. They love the electoral college when it helps them, hate it when it hurts then. But it is clear it has to be revised.

The smaller states will never let the electoral college die. It would mean they'd be completely ignored by presidential campaigns and would have no bargaining power at all.

The electoral college was created at a time when there were no political parties. The idea was the ordinary folks (then mostly farmers) would vote to choose people they trusted to meet to select a new president and vice president. That was a fun time when the top vote getter became the prez and the #2 the veep. Thus we'd end up with either an Obama-Romney or Romney-Obama administration. :)

The only way the electoral college is going to be changed is assigning it by popular vote. Since California has 2 senators and 53 congressmen, that would mean the 2 senate votes went to the top vote getter, then the votes were assigned by congressional district. Say Obama carries 30 districts. He would get 2 + 32 = 34 electoral votes. Romney would get 21 for the districts he had carried. As it is now, Obama is going to get all 55 electoral votes.

And that is why neither party really wants to change the system. They love the electoral college when it helps them, hate it when it hurts then. But it is clear it has to be revised.

The whole election system in the USA is completely fucked up:

- shady outside money starts to dominate the elections

- voter ID laws which will change the next election in 2016

- generally way too much money needed to become elected. There is no place for new parties with new ideas. Both candidates are spending around 1 billion USD and it gets worse every four years.

- outdated electoral college system. 8 years ago the election was decided by several hundred votes in Florida (and decided by one GOP election official)

- outdated or malfunctioning or hackable voting machines

- the endless 24/7 election spin cycle. There are days in which actually nothing new can be reported. USA media seem to be absolutely hysteric about any coffee cup dropped by a campaign surrogate.

- way too long election season. The whole crazy thing started about 6 months ago already.

Compared to Germany:

- Every party gets a limited budget for advertising e.g. Not outside money is permitted

- Every party gets limited airtime for adverts. Even small and obscure parties get a certain amount of airtime (which makes some of the ads really funny, since they look so amateurish and the people slogans involved can be quite entertaining)

- really negative attack ads and character assassination ads are not being liked (not permitted?)

- not an endless 24/7 election spin cycle.

- fixed duration of the election season for adverts, posters, e.g.

and of course 1 man 1 vote