Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Just saw Guiliani wailing away about Benghazzi, etc. Its a red herring. I've been disappointed with Obama in a few things domestically but by and large he's been very good in terms of foreign affairs. Lets just say that we did drop the ball on security in Lybia. Its tragic and Obama and others should be criticized if true. That alone doesn't define his foreign policy. No President has been perfect in terms of foreign policy and global affairs. I will ask anyone to name who they considered had the best foreign policy record in any Presidency in the last 50 years and I guarantee you I can find something that they f*cked up on. Bush has a terrible and tragic foreign policy record but has been the world's greatest leader on fighting AIDS in Africa by committing billions to it. That act, a great one, doesn't mean he did a great job. That was the exception to the rule. If Obama is to blame for Lybia, in part, its tragic but doesn't define his foreign policy record and I wouldn't vote against him because of it. Its desparation on Romney and his surrogates because they have nothing else. Just like in '08, all McCain could say about Obama was that he was against the surge that was successful. So what? The whole war was wrong which was the point. Even in Vietnam we had significant victories. It didn't mean it was the right war.

The scary thing is a Romney foreign policy. It would be back to the American bullying other country days and in today's world its the absolutely worst thing to do. We live in a building coalition world. He also has a let Israel do whatever it wants and we'll stand by them in it policy. I am a zionist. I believe in the state of Israel. However Israel is no more perfect that we are. England is our closest ally but I don't expect them to rubber stamp our actions. England knows we are on the wrong side of our policy towards Cuba. Cuba will open up one day and we should be working towards that day. Massive economic opportunities to us when that happens. As a good will gesture to doing that we should shut down Guantanomo. Give it back. Open up communication. Cuba is no threat to us. They will want American tourism dollars.

Anyway, I digress. Obama should win but I hope the Congress will work with the White House. That's the big unknown.

to CS

>> No President has been perfect in terms of foreign policy and global affairs.

...I agree. Dubya was absolutely abominable.. a lost decade for the USA and the world.

Clinton was about 48 hours away from browbeating Ehud Barak and Yasser Arafat into a peace deal in the Middle East at Camp David in July 2000, then sadly got called away to a G7 summit. How different the world might have been...no 9/11, no wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, a decade of prosperity and regeneration in a peaceful ME, no need for sabre rattling from Iran

On the other hand he (and the rest of the so called civilised world) sat on their hands while millions were butchered in Rwanda and Bosnia ..in Clinton’s own words, his biggest foreign policy regret.

Then I do give him credit for peace in East Timor. It was an Aussie initiative, but when the massacres started after the independence referendum, it was US sending a warship and threatening ties with Indonesia that clinched the deal.

>> If Obama is to blame for Libya

..latest I read it was a CIA cockup. But I suppose the buck stops with the Prez.

>> As a good will gesture to doing that we should shut down Guantanomo. Give it back. Open up communication. Cuba is no threat to us. They will want American tourism dollars.

...what a great idea..on condition that any remaining dangerous prisoners be resettled in Cuba and not allowed to leave. They can’t be tried in US courts because Dubya and Rumsfeld made any evidence inadmissible there due to water boarding, and it’s too risky to allow them to rejoin Al Qaeda.

My hope is that Obama wins next Tuesday and that he makes his second term memorable. Peace in the Middle East alone would boost the world economy. Imagine the reconstruction contracts flowing America’s way, goodwill from Arab countries, the mass tourism, and the wind taken out of the terrorists’ sails that would result.

The alternative under Witless Romney is too bleak to contemplate....another lost short sighted Dubya decade

:beer:

"DECATUR, AL (WAFF) -

A Decatur Utilities crew left Alabama to help with storm recovery in New Jersey, but did not make the trip because of what they are now calling confusion over union paperwork."

Once Fox News picked up this story it was repeated over and over again. All is false, of course. But Fox News and the right wing blogs just kept going on and on about "union" and such. Fox News never mentioned the correction. The right wing blogosphere never mentioned the correction. Both union and non-union power companies are working side by side and always have during any crisis. It's the norm.

"Alabama power companies are denying a local TV station's report that linemen who had traveled to New Jersey from Alabama (a right to work state) to help restore power to those hit hard by Superstorm Sandy were told they could not work there because they were non-union."

LINK

There is a big difference between getting your words mixed up and being straight mnud clueless. Biden can run ringswaround almost anyone with what he knows about foreign policy.

What does Palin know? Really.

As for the G-mo prisioners I would repatrhate them but have a talk with the countries for the worst of them that if we hear from them in a militant capacity again, there will be repurcussions.

I think one of the casualties of this election may be the Tea Party. Akin and some of these far right candidates will make the Republican leadership start playing hardball and using there own dirty tricks on them. Look for new rule changes.