My ISP or URL says I am Thai

lifeline

I don't understand exactly but, because I live in Thailand all sorts of annoying stuff happens. For example, if I go to www.google.com it is changed to www.google.co.th and until I got google to switch to English, my responses were in Thai language. I am not particularly interested in advertisements but, on internet pages (or whatever pages are called), ads and other stuff show up in Thai language.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to minimize the assumption that because I live in Thailand, I am a Thai person (or a non-Thai who reads Thai language).

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think it is automatic. If I go to my email I find the page filled with Thai adverts and political news. You can set it back to www.google.com, but it seems to revert ratherly quickly back to the Thai page. :dunno:

Once in a while I get something like yahoo.co.au. They must think expats are all Strine folks. :hmmm:

The same happens with Blogger. All the controls are in Thai, and there seems to be no way to reset them to English. I wish the fuckwits that control these sites would realise that just because we live in a certain country, doesn't mean we are of that nationality.

Thanks for the replies.

I use Yahoo mail and they asked me if they could move my mail from a US server to Oz. Thinking I would get faster response time, I said yes. But, now I get news stories from Oz instead of US before entering mail (and all the adverts are from Oz as well). Another annoyance.

The companies never reply. I have paypal in HK and everytime I login it is completely in Chinese!!! I cannot change it to English. Same with all of the emails they send me it is in Chinese.

I explained in English and I get an answer in .... Chinese ...... after having it translated it said that because I attached it to a Hong Kong bank account I can only use it in Chinese!!!

The fuckwits at Microsoft etc etc etc have never heard of expats obviously!

This is only somewhat related but, I think a "funny" story.

UBS has an off-shore "International Account". All sorts of bullshit about the Global expertise....

When I tried to open an account they wanted 3 sources of financial identification - such as your London utilities bill, your England cable TV, internet access bill

How fcuking International, Global is that, your London utilities bill.

I explained that anyone working in their Thailand office would know that in Thailand, Serviced Apartments lump all that into your total bill (in order to charge ripoff elec rates, etc). I eventually got an account but I will spare you the details - what a bunch or morons.

Here is another "funny", - we are International story. BKK Bank announced a new type of account that allowed you to have your funds in 10 different currencies. I didn't have aspirations to be a currency trader but, I thought if something bad happened that would affect one currency, I could switch to another currency. But, the only way to go from currency A to currency B was to move from currency A to your Thai account (pay a fee), then go from your Thai account to currency B (and pay a fee). Again, fcuking useless.

Archived