GPS, Which where etc

persil

Is Google maps not Maps that is already loaded on the iPhone? I tried that in the car the other day but does not seem to be moving map nor any obvious way to set up routes, vias, avoidances, and other similar stuff.

The Garmin database seems quite good. If I enter 7-11 I get almost all in Bangkok starting from where I am and spreading out with increasing distance. If in Bangkok you have to scroll quite a long way to find the 7-11's in Mukdahan! Not advising navigation by way of 7-11's mind.

A little digging shows 2 apps in the iStore for iPhone. Tom Tom say they have Thai maps price is US$40 Sygic has SE Asia including Thailand for US$45.

If these are as good as Garmin XT is on a Winmo phone and you already have an iPhone then I'd say maybe worth a try. The Sygic one says they have Thailand speed cameras, hmm, bet they don't have the one on the expressway just by Don Muang airport, that's a hand held unit that only shows up once in a while, doubt it's in anyones database.

• 1 month later...

I'll be in LOS from Feb.24-March 10 and bought a Garmin nuvi 250 on Ebay for $26.00 and received it today. Where online do I download Thai maps (on Garmin's web site)? On Garmin's web site, I can see where to download maps of North America but not of Thailand, specifically. Should I try to download while in U.S. or find some place in Bangkok? Thanks

Archived