Thai people - nasty, not smiling

lifeline

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

narcissism again, see Thai Home comments.

No, seriously, I shop a lot around Udon and the village, was in Pattaya two weeks ago, Centara shopping mall, mini-marts, restaurants, don't recall bad attitudes, but don't get me started on Thais who have no clue what they are selling :drool:

BTW, found a deli-shop in Udon today they have French cheese, good selection (expensive for sure) also jambon de Bayonne - arooi maak, two women in the shop, French owner on "business trip???" Bangkok (or patters, who knows....)They new the names of the French cheeses, Saint Marcellin, brie, chèvre, Rocquefort, wow!!! congrats.

French cheese in Udorn? It's a new generation. I remember when Thais used to order pizza without cheese. You couldn't get them to eat cheese, any kind - and that's only 20-some years ago. They also would cut hamburgers into small pieces and try to eat them with a fork.

Now if only I could afford some real cheese ... :(

LizardKing,

Re: "And no offense to the OP, an old expat taught me 20+ years ago (no, not Flash ) that Thailand and its people are a perfect mirror of yourself. If you are pleasant/nice, so are they. If you are sad, so are they. If you are a dickhead, so are they. Etc.".

I specifically mentioned that a Thai lady I was with was very offended by the behavior someone working in a 7/11 in order to eliminate the possibility that it was me - and a reflection of my attitude/behavior. Nothing was done on my part or on the part of the Thai lady to elicit a bad attitude.

While one's behavior can elicit an appropriate response (a mirror), sometimes the "attitude" exists within the offending person. As was the case this time and it was in Naklua in an area occupied by Thai's - far from the Pattaya scene.

MooNOi,

Regarding, "Probably because quite a few farangs in Pattaya treat the locals like absolute shit. I've seen it in the 7-11, in bars, with street vendors, in restaurants.... the ol' "white superiority complex". Alive and well.

No wonder they get the hump with it and lash out occasionally.

I'm also delusional... " - please see my response to LizardKing.

Khunsanuk,

Re: Possibly related to the fact that they tend not to put certain items in the same bag. Dog food for instance will likely be put in a different bag than food meant for people. No idea why they do this though, probably some superstition

As soon as I read this I knew you were absolutely correct. In fact, one of the items I purchased, a bag of cooked rice, couldn't be put in with some ice because the ice was yen - although my intention was to microwave the rice sometime later in the day.

LizardKing,

Re: "And no offense to the OP, an old expat taught me 20+ years ago (no, not Flash ) that Thailand and its people are a perfect mirror of yourself. If you are pleasant/nice, so are they. If you are sad, so are they. If you are a dickhead, so are they. Etc.".

I specifically mentioned that a Thai lady I was with was very offended by the behavior someone working in a 7/11 in order to eliminate the possibility that it was me - and a reflection of my attitude/behavior. Nothing was done on my part or on the part of the Thai lady to elicit a bad attitude.

While one's behavior can elicit an appropriate response (a mirror), sometimes the "attitude" exists within the offending person. As was the case this time and it was in Naklua in an area occupied by Thai's - far from the Pattaya scene.

Mate, you are giving one example versus what I assume are 100s, which are leading to your post.

My assessment still stands. And again. no offense.

One of the rules many years ago in my Fortune 5 life (part of which was hiring expats) was to agree to ignore any complaint the started with "if they only all would be good..."

Maybe you hate the messenger. That's OK, I could give a fuck. Many people hate me for my directness. But seriously, look at yourself first...

My advice still stands. Being an expat is VERY hard. Maybe it is not your thing? Or you are going thru a phase and need to understand that and STFU. Completely normal...

Or ignore me. I don't really care, save for the results you leave behind as an "expat" versus who think you are are and I have to do have to do the damage control when Thai's bitch about "expats."

They have tourists pretty well sussed out and deal with them accordingly. Long time *tourists*(which I think you are, and need to make a better effort) who fail to understand the ways of life here or speak the vernacular, make (understandably) the Thais are confused, are a different story...

Archived