Thai people - nasty, not smiling

lifeline

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being nice to everyone when working the checkout must be a real strain.....knowing the way Thais tend to bottle up their emotions its not surprising they get bad tempered once in a while.That mirror analogy is spot-on IME...if your having a bad day and wear a frown/bad attitude,expect to get exactly the same ( and more )in return....

Being nice to everyone when working the checkout must be a real strain.....knowing the way Thais tend to bottle up their emotions its not surprising they get bad tempered once in a while.That mirror analogy is spot-on IME...if your having a bad day and wear a frown/bad attitude,expect to get exactly the same ( and more )in return....

That doesn't apply in just Thailand. That is a life lesson.

LK,

re: "Maybe you hate the messenger. That's OK, I could give a fuck. Many people hate me for my directness. But seriously, look at yourself first...

My advice still stands. Being an expat is VERY hard. Maybe it is not your thing? Or you are going thru a phase and need to understand that and STFU. Completely normal..." and other comments you made - I don't hate you but I do find you a bit silly and presumptuous.

I have lived in Thailand for 6 years: 2 in BKK, 2 in Khon Kaen, 1 near Hua Hin, 1/2 in Pattaya several years ago and 1/2 recently in Naklua.

I brought up the economic conditions because I haven't experienced this previously in any of the places I have lived in the past. And, again, I mentioned the Thai lady I was with and her comments to show that it wasn't just my experience/opinion.

Perhaps some people hate you not because of your directness but because you are quick to jump to erroneous conclusions and then, are convinced you are correct. You might want to look at yourself.

Oooo, six years. You are an expert. I hardly knew. I defer to your superior knowledge.

Excuse me. But my post still stands as is. Even moreso after this.

If you don't want honest opinions, then don't ask for them.

EDIT -- Seriously, six years is a hard time. The gloss is off, you see things as even worse than they are: familiarity breeds contempt and all that. It happens to everyone. I'm not being facetious when I say look in the mirror. How many in this very thread, some of whom have been abroad for decades, agree with your assessment? That's the tell right there.

"How many in this very thread, some of whom have been abroad for decades, agree with your assessment? That's the tell right there.".

You really are limited in your thinking. You remind me of former US President W Bush, not too bright but absolutely sure you are correct. Most, if not all of the people who commented in this thread are not from the Naklua area. Many Thai people who live in Naklua work in Pattaya (the customers that the people working in 7/11 in Naklua have to deal with). This has been a very bad year for tourism in Pattaya, so, perhaps the Thai people in Naklua are not as happy and smiling as they might normally be. Thus, the conditions the people working in 7/11 are under more difficult conditions and this is relected in their attitude. This would be a reasonable hypothesis.

The fact is that people from BKK who commented,and I know some of the comments came from people who live in BKK, haven't seen the same thing because BKK is less dependent upon tourism. This would be a logical explanation. Same is true for those who commented and live in Issan.

But, without any first hand knowledge, feel free to be convinced in your wisdom.

Your problem is not that you are direct, your problem is you are not too bright but erroneously are convinced you are wise.

I wish you a long life in your delusional state of mind.

1 - It's a life lesson - as my mum said, "Smile the world smiles with and the pretty girls always smile back, frown and you frown alone"

Thing is most Thais smile quick, so I see in Thailand that works most times, smile at a bloke in a public bar in Aus and you'll most likely get thumped.

2 - Your in Pattaya, Thailand's city version of Kings Cross or any other famous sex destination. People working in those places I've noticed are always one or two notches up the scale on edginess. Your judging Thailand by the wrong venue.

3 - I do think a lot of Thais since the mid-late 90's have become harder in their dealing with Farangs, but that's in a wider context of nationalism etc.

"Your in Pattaya, Thailand's city version of Kings Cross or any other famous sex destination. People working in those places I've noticed are always one or two notches up the scale on edginess. Your judging Thailand by the wrong venue.".

Well, apparently I should have entitled my post, "Thai People in Naklua - Nasty, Not Smiling". Please demonstrate from anything I have posted that I am judging Thailand - I am not.

I am not in Pattaya. I am in Naklua and well into Naklua - not on the edge of Pattaya. Nothing but Thai people here . No bars, no farangs.

Other than these minor discrepancies, your post is spot on!

Archived