Thai people - nasty, not smiling

lifeline

I was in a supermarket today and I had purchased about 10 items. I said I would like a large bag. I don't know why but, Thai people will typically give several small bags rather than one large bag. I have seen this over and over again.

Anyway, the young Thai lady at the checkout counter was positively angry. She said something to me with a scowl on her face.

The supermarket is located on North Pattya road at the edge of Naklua, where I am living presently. Overall, this has been a bad year for Pattaya/Naklua (although things seem well now as this is high season) and many business have closed. I don't know if this is the cause for an attitude that is the opposite of the Land of Smiles.

I have encountered this bad attitude on the part of Thai people numerous times and wondered if it was something that I was doing wrong.

But, I went to a 7/11 with a Thai lady and encountered this sort of thing (but, certainly not the worse I have experienced) and the Thai lady was really put off. She felt the woman in the 7/11 was extremely impolite and said she would never go in the store again.

So, what is going on? Of course, I know that Thai people smile more when they can expect to get some financial reward - but, there seems to be a basic change in attitude - from polite and smiling to impolite and scowling.

Sure, if I walk into the Marriott, the professional staff will smile or if I put money on a bar, I will get a smile - but, in general, in my experience attitude is getting much worse.

What do you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I don't know why but, Thai people will typically give several small bags rather than one large bag."

Possibly related to the fact that they tend not to put certain items in the same bag. Dog food for instance will likely be put in a different bag than food meant for people. No idea why they do this though, probably some superstition :)

Sanuk!

If this is the norm for Pattaya, (and yeah - probably more miserable Thais there than all the other places I've been in LOS to be honest), then you would have to ask "why"?

Probably because quite a few farangs in Pattaya treat the locals like absolute shit. I've seen it in the 7-11, in bars, with street vendors, in restaurants.... the ol' "white superiority complex". Alive and well. :smirk:

No wonder they get the hump with it and lash out occasionally. :argue:

And no offense to the OP, an old expat taught me 20+ years ago (no, not Flash :neener: ) that Thailand and its people are a perfect mirror of yourself. If you are pleasant/nice, so are they. If you are sad, so are they. If you are a dickhead, so are they. Etc.

I have found that to be some of the best advice I have gotten in my lifetime about anything/anywhere.

As always, YMMV.

Archived