Basic Disk space question

lifeline

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't now one non-geek PC user who partitioned his PC after he purchased it.

I agree, it's such a basic thing, yet so many people don't know that data and os drives are much, much better separate. Is that Microshite's responsibility? Partially, I suppose.

Hi expat,

Not to beat this to death, but,

I agree, it's such a basic thing, yet so many people don't know that data and os drives are much, much better separate. Is that Microshite's responsibility? Partially, I suppose.

If you are going to do this (MS) wouldn't you build your OS so that Documents, Pictures, etc go into Data? Why would this be an option? More basically, why would this even be possible?

I am sitting here with a new PC using MS Windows 7, Home Premium and my data is being automatically being put into the OS partition. Not only shouldn't it be happening, it shouldn't even be possible. :sad:

I am sitting here with a new PC using MS Windows 7, Home Premium and my data is being automatically being put into the OS partition. Not only shouldn't it be happening, it shouldn't even be possible. :sad:

Well, I'll have to disagree that it shouldn't be possible. For people who want to run a small, lean computer, for example, it might be the best or even only option. Someone has already pointed out that it is possible on Linux, for example.

Well, I'll have to disagree that it shouldn't be possible. For people who want to run a small, lean computer, for example, it might be the best or even only option. Someone has already pointed out that it is possible on Linux, for example.

Hope I don't seem to be taking my frustration out on you. I am actually frustrated because at one time I was an "expert" at this stuff and now, I am lost in space.

I would be willing to give Linux a try in order to get away from MS, but, I am afraid I would mess it up and end up losing my data and having a new laptop that doesn't work at all!

For lots of years, I spent many hours every week reading technical crap to keep up-to-date. Now, I hate reading technical crap.

A year ago, I spent a few thousand baht on a fairly sophisticated cell phone - couldn't get myself to read the manual so that I could use it properly. Gave it away and purchased the cheapest, least sophisticated, easy to use Nokia.

Perhaps I will have to stop being a spoiled child about this and start reading technical stuff again. :banghead:

Windows 7 is actually a fairly good OS. Critics say that it even comes almost close to the latest Mac OS - data security aside.

Moving all the data (and user rights) from the C: partition is a pain in the ass, especially if you work with several user accounts. If you move the data you'll have to reconfigure the user rights, otherwise all users will have access to all data. :down:

Archived