100 baht daily food

tartempion

At least once a week I see a tent somewhere in the village, mostly for some person who died, sometimes for a marriage. We get invited and I rarely attend.

Today it's at a neighbor's house and the gf spent her evening there helping in preparing food.

This morning she got up at 5.30! to help, out again.

At 11 she hit home shouting "give 100baht" and gave a bunch of plastic bags with food: one soup, one laap nua (similar to steak tartare) to meats and vegs swimming in some red sauce and kanom chin with its sauce. That's more than what I can eat in one day. She got a full belly onsite.

Now many people attending the party will give 20 baht in an envelope as a gesture of contribution. Me as a farang must give 100B according to the GF.

I got the laap nua through my Moulinex mixer to get smaller pieces of meat, 't was spicy enough and edible. I had doubts with the two main meals and will try the soup for dinner tonight and re-visit both plates.

GF will eat the kanom chin for sure.

I don't think I would enjoy such food on a daily basis though :drool:

They eat some weird stuff up in the Isaan ,including raw liver,and ants as well as the more usuall fried bugs.On my first visit to a friends house near KK the neighbours invited me to watch them catch a snack for the kids.They produced a fine net which 2 people stretched across the paddy field which had about 1-2 ft of water in it.They then trawled the net along through the mud before bringing it back and tipping the contents into a bucket.Once rinsed in water many peculiar creepy-crawlies could be seen including tadpoles and insect larvae of different kinds.These were boiled up for a while before being mashed into a paste which the kids seemed to love :surprised: I was offered some but declined.I love Thai food but wouldn`t eat that kind of sh*t even if they paid me a fortune.

I survived the laap nuea, still healthy :alert:

Did not eat the soup yet, found the two other meals to have plenty of fat meat.

Party was for a young man doing his monk time, many years ago this was serious business, leading a real monk's life for a month or two, nowadays he will probably sleep and eat home :shhh: and live a normal life again one or two weeks from now.

I could eat this party food several times/week, but once/twice year is enough :relieved:

GF often eats at her parents home; rice and leafs, hardly any meat (no money for that) I pass and eat my own cooking at home or GF makes good Thai food or we go to the local eatery, the owner is a decent cook.

Archived