Lonely Planet: Top 10 cities in 2011

kamui

Just for clarification. The list is not about the very best cities of the world, but a top ten of cities to be visited in 2011.

It seems that LP publishes every year a special guide about the most interesting places of the upcoming year. Since the people shall buy the guide every year LP has to come up with new places every year.

---

By the way: Is Chiang Mai worth a visit for a longer stay?

I am planning to take Thai lessons for 1-2 weeks outside BKK this summer and I was thinking about Chiang Mai.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiang Mai is fun. It's grown from the pleasant little city I knew years ago, but still beats Bangkok. There's a small nightlife - one area mostly. (My wife drove me by to show it to me!) A couple of weeks should be fine - but maybe avoid Songkran, which lasts two weeks or more!

Also, the first language of Chiang Mai is Kham Muang (about as different as Plattdeutsch and Hochdeutsch), but everyone speaks Central Thai as well.

Pretty women in the north, though most of the working girls are probably from Issan these days.

Wellington? you gotta be kidding, that's why the knowing call it the Looney Planet Guide.

I was born in Wellington I spent time there, I love the place, but top 10? never.

Coss

Speaking the minds of sane people everywhere.

NZ (and Oz) are two places on my list that I want to visit. Ever since I dated a Kiwi a while ago I've always wanted to visit. Always had good experiences with just about every Kiwi I've ever met.

ah that newcastle

Fooled me as well LP but although I've long heard of the Newcastle you and I were thinking of being a working class coal town, I have heard the club and bar scene is now one of the best. I've also heard the Newcastle girls are open to anything and everything. Not sure how true that is. I can't understand a thing a Geordie says but if the drunken, passed out girls I keep hearing is indeed fact, its a place I want to visit as well.

As for the Oz version, I want to visit anywhere in Austrailia. Liked just about every Aussie I've met. I heard the girls like the 'brothas' as well. Plenty of guys I know in the military who went throgh Perth told me the girls love us. hehehe

Archived