Lonely Planet: Top 10 cities in 2011

kamui

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newcastle is not a bad place, not as nice as wellington, but both are behind places like christchurch or byron bay to name towns cities in the same country. Delhi is just insane. I always tell people on their first, usually biz trip to delhi, you HAVE to see taj mahal. Because you won't ever want to go to delhi again. It's a shit hole, weather isn't great. Night life is hard. Goa is a obvious, but also yucky choice if it has to be india. Delhi, yuck, and looks like i am there this month! Arighh! Now tel aviv i'll agree while with noting i am a strong anti zionist! It is a pretty interesting city. BUT beirut would have been a far better choice. The place is pumping. First time back this century, it is everything it was and more. New york is a obvious yes, but for the wrong reasons. Ok,going out on a limb, but a town in belgium? Surely they are confusing best waffles with best cities!

What about Barthalona or some of the Algarve areas. If Newcastle gets a mention why not or Bundaburg or Dapto.

If Newcastle were a person it would be Tom Cruise. He's short, he's a scientologist, and he's fundamentally boring and bizzare at the same time.

I've been to Delhi quite a few times and it's okay, but I believe there are much better cities in India for the traveller to visit. Varanasi and Mumbai are my two favourites. I guess Mumbai can be quite overwhelming to someone new, but I like the fast pace of life there and the mixture of modern cosmopolitan India and the old. It's a great place to enjoy a beer, too.

F'n Auckland is the Rugby World Cup, with few other centres being allowed to have the overflow games. Who ever wrote this pap is being paid to market.

The BBC bought the Looney Planet some years ago. Good to see they haven't tried to raise the standards any.

Also, a few years ago a writer was caught out for never having set foot in several South American countries he wrote guides for. He just did a rewrite of other guide books in the Looney Planet's unique (eunuch?) style. When he was caught, he explained that the LP people didn't pay enough for you to actually visit a country you were writing about. :content:

5. Valencia

Valencia sits coquettishly and again confidently along Spain’s Mediterranean coast. For centuries, it was overshadowed by larger Spanish cities – hard-nosed, commercially-minded Barcelona and Madrid, the nation’s capital. Not any more. While retaining its provincial charm, Spain’s third city now mixes with the international crowd. Host of a couple of America’s Cup yachting jamborees and an annual street circuit Formula 1 motor race, it’s also European Capital of Sport for 2011 and a favourite destination for conferences and congresses. Valencia enjoyed its golden age two full centuries before the rest of Spain.

I actually agree with this one, Valencia is by far the best city in Spain, I have spent many a weekend there recently. Now to call it the 5th best city in the world is debatable but deffo the best in Spain

Archived