Reagan's 100th Birthday

Hugh_Hoy

I don't know Steve. I always see Reagan as the point that represents the unfortunate success in American politics of glossy media presentation over substance.

One thing that impressed me about Europe was the sophistication and nuance in conversation you would have with random people on the street re: political events and contemporary history. Kinda the same way Americans talk about sports. They displayed a catalog of knowledge about the players, their influences, and possible outcomes of different strategies.

While Americans have become more emotional and outspoken about politics, the conversation is usually an exchange of canned cliches with little behind them.

I don't like the way conservatives have elevated Reagan to a cult status and removed any critical filters.

And very few acknowledge #10 in the link supplied by Flash -- Reagan's administration created, and nurtured, Bin Laden.

Ps. I don't know if you're aware of this, but for a guy who's a die-hard cynic, you're fairly even keeled and good natured. (And a little too lenient on Reagan). haha.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, I really am an extrovert and love to laugh and have fun. Also a bit too passionate at times. I'm definitely crazy to some extent. Not serial iller crazy though. As far as America, no matter how I slice that cake I get crumbs. I pray I'm wrong and its my paranoia.

As for Reagan, remember he won in a landslide and got staunchly democratic people like union members to vote for him and the term 'Reagan democrats' came into being. He communicated well (when he prepared his lines...lol) and, at least to me, was likeable.

I will agree he is being deified by the right though. Even Ike was much better and shared some similtaries as well. Both governed under ecomomic expansion and both I believe were a bit out of it towards the end of their presidency. Ike had a stroke and there were rumors that the country was really run by his lieutenants and I believe Reagan's dimension started while he was in office. It wasn't long after he finished that he couldn't remember much when he was questioned about Iran-Contra.

You seem on the money about America and Europeans. However, (and this may be my nationalism giving me a bias) I do think most europeans don't understand America and Americans and find it easier to demonize us than to truly understand or try to understand. Some of the Brit journalists seem on the money though.

You seem on the money about America and Europeans. However, (and this may be my nationalism giving me a bias) I do think most europeans don't understand America and Americans and find it easier to demonize us than to truly understand or try to understand. Some of the Brit journalists seem on the money though.

Oh yeah, when I was in Germany it was easy for me to see they saw America as violent, primitive, vapid, materialistic, immature. And that's certainly there. But there's more. Yep. :tophat:

And Reagan still sucks. :)

And LP - wtf is goober corner? you throwing out some obscure Brit shit to test cultural aptitude? I'm gonna have to go to google.... huh. :idea:

Archived