When in Rome .....

Pescator

This is not about night life, but still I thought it was the most suitable place to put it in.

I was at one time staying on Koh Chang for several months. And yes, I was a backpacker, flame away.

Most other visitors were longtermers too. For some reason Koh Chang had that effect on visitors during the mid 90`ies.

As a result we got to know each other quite well and spent much time together.

One day an aussie bloke returned to the island. He had been away for a month travelling in Laos, had contracted dengue and lost an awful lot of weight.

In order to celebrate the return of the lost son and to make sure that he gained weight as soon as possible, we arranged a candle lit dinner on the beach for him.

In the "island council" it was decided that one of the ingredients of the meal should consist of steamed crabs in curry.

Our restaurant could not accomodate this massive demand - we were like 15 people in our group - so I made it on my merry way to a small fishing village boasting 3 palm thatched huts and a fishing vessel.

When I arrived, there was not a single soul around.

So I made no secret of my errand and yelled out in the best thai I could produce: "Maa Sue Poo, Khrap"! I am here to buy crabs.

After a while a thai guy dressed in fishermans pants appeared from one of the huts.

He scratched his arse, blinked his eyes and produced an impressive long spit into the Khlong.

"Arai"?

Obviously a man of few words.

I can do that too: "Poo Sip Kilo" 10 kilos of crabs.

"Maa Sa" Come this way.

I got my 10 kilos of crabs in a net that I had brought with me.

The crabs showed their displeasure with the situationen by biting me on my ankles during the way back to our "resort".

Well arrived back at our restaurant I proudly showed the staff my purchase.

"We will cook them for you, only thing we ask for is a couple of crabs for our own consumption".

"Take as many as you want, I am sure we`ve got plenty". Only in Thailand.

Now the sun was about to set. We had put 3-4 tables together below the coconut trees right on the beach and everyone was looking forward to the feast.

The wind was calm as was the ocean, only the slightest swell made a pleasant background music to our gathering.

The skyes were clear and due to the lack of interferering lights on the island the number of stars visible were incredible.

I felt like being swept in a velvet like darkness.

The cikades had stopped their constant humming and now the bats took over with their shrilly orientation cries while they did their thing eating bugs.

A flying squirrel flew over our heads and landed on a palm tree right next to our tables. A swedish lady was startled by this occurrance, but her boyfriend calmed her down by saying: "This ain`t Kansas, Dorothy". I am sure he was a shrink.

The malnourished aussie guy and the rest of us dug into the food. The curry crabs were highly appreciated by everyone and all was well.

Then all of a sudden I hear a rattling sound in the foliage above. I look up only to observe in a coconut falling down right beside of my head and landing on my little toe, leaving only a scratch mark. I had no time to react. It all happened in a split second.

All the guys were at first startled, but nothing happened so we went back to business, eating all of the yummy food.

There were 2 thai guys dining with us. One of them pulled me aside and said as this:

Do you see the Phra Phum (shrine) right there? Do you know what saved you from having the coconut landing on your head?

Now, what I would suggest you to do is this. Tomorrow you go and make offerings to that shrine and the spirit to show your appreciation.

Of course I thanked him for his advice and thought nothing more of it..... until the next day.

I never suffered from any maladies while in Thailand and I was in perfect health. And I don`t believe in no mumbo jumbo.

But the next day I came down with a bad fever, I completely lost my voice Some claimed that was not a disadvantage, but I shall let that pass.

The thai guy from the night before passed me while I was lying in my hammock in a sorry state.

The only thing that kept me alive was the knowledge that I was about to die.

He only had one comment: "Som Nam Nah". You brought it on yourself.

As thrilled as I was by having learnt a new expression in thai, I only had the strength to wave my hands feebly in the air in appreciation of his compassionate words.

Now, a few days went by and I didn`t get any better and I was in no state to take care of myself.

The guys on the beach got fed up with me and my self pity, picked me up and brought me to the only "Hong Anamai" Health Center on the island.

I was admininstered massive doses of antibiotics and recovered after a few days.

Bottom line: I shall never take advice like that lightly anymore. Better safe than sorry.

PS, Sorry about the long winded post.

Archived